Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much does furniture weigh?  (Read 2104 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
How much does furniture weigh?
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:11:34 am »

Is there a base weight chart for furniture somewhere? I'm planning on becoming a carpenter in adventure mode, so before I become skilled at it I want to be making and hauling furniture to town as fast as possible. Of course if there isn't one, I'll just have to suck it up and make all the chairs.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much does furniture weigh?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:34 pm »

Is there a base weight chart for furniture somewhere? I'm planning on becoming a carpenter in adventure mode, so before I become skilled at it I want to be making and hauling furniture to town as fast as possible. Of course if there isn't one, I'll just have to suck it up and make all the chairs.

The amount of weight calculated in urists can be observed in fortress mode when inspecting the object with T usually at the top of the screen, in most cases the furniture will be about as heavy or lighter than the object made to produce it (with variable differences in object types like barrels= *heavier* and large pots being lighter)

If you can carry a wooden log, you should in theory be roughly the required strength to carry the equivalent furniture, becoming slightly stronger as to carry a log of wood or more (as per picking a larger adventurer or modifying your stats) would probably be a comfortable compromise.

This is more of a gameplay question for the questions board but thanks for putting it here.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:32:42 pm »

In practice unless you make your furniture out of cobaltite, lay pewter, pitchblende, iron, steel, cinnabar, bronze, copper, silver, lead, gold, platinum or native platinum then you are most likely fine.

Unfortunately few of these have eye catching colors ingame. Cobaltite and lay pewter have it specially bad since cobaltites color is basically unique and lay pewters color is annoying to get high quantities of as it is. Of course this only matters if you care about colors and have a specific design based on these. Also making a platinum statue might be an awesome way to increase value in rooms and seem like a cool idea, but it takes too much time just to haul it. Better to make something else out of it. The last one I realized after a not so thought out idea of my own.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:35:07 pm by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:55:19 pm »

Could you make and use a wheelbarrow?

XZell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:45 am »

Hello everyone. I've a question about forniture in Adventure Mode.
There is any difference between build a bed, or a chair, or a table with the menù or simply drop items on the ground?

I try to build a chair (1 hour of hard work) with the build menù, then I press "u" trying to interact but no new menu appared.
So i try to drop the chair and press "u" and appared the menù "interact with the chair <position>". But nothing happens anyway.
So, it's better building or dropping forniture?
To sleep in a bed is enough to press "z" on it
?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:48:28 pm »

Nobbc, guys.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!