Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some General Newbie Questions  (Read 805 times)

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some General Newbie Questions
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:51 am »

Greetings fellow dorf overseers! Recently I have started to play DF again, and I have some question about fortress management. First of all I am kinda the OCD type  when I make forts so is there a utility to apply fog of war to tiles already discovered? I mean I don't mine ore out of room walls only gems, when I construct walls to hide the gap it doesn't look fancy. I know DFHack had a paint tool but it seems they took it out. The second: clothing management? How one can set a "civilian uniform" or something like it? I would prefer to cloth my nation self-made dwarven cloth not some hideous fur from goblins or something from the hippies. Third: werebeasts! I searched through this forum and reddit as well, some said there is a line in the combat log that states the werebeast injected something in the wound and this would predict a new weredwarf. However recently I got assaulted by a feroicious werechinchilla (yup that's right) and that damned thing bit my precious hammerdwarf on the lower lip and he turned afterwards (fortunately in quarantine) and I ordered his execution. Next year I was attacked by a werechameleon, my other soldier was bitten, but in a strange fashion. The werechameleon took hold of his upper arm without hurting it(he had chainmail and breastplate made out of steel), and later it shook the poor dorf and caused skin,muscle and fat rupture. Thoughts? And at last I've got a wall constructing problem, there is an odd title which refuses cooperation. I walled of and tried every angle to build always got suspending messages due to creature occupying the site (no creatures detected of course)
the layout . . . . .
              . . x . .
              . . . . .    .=blank tile x=problematic tile
I would appreciate your help :)

Cheers, Carolus

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some General Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:11:34 am »

1. -
2. It seems to me you're not really after a uniform, but proper dwarven gear. If that is the case, they'll prefer masterworks quality over inferior stuff, so if you produce enough masterworks for the fortress they'll use that, with the exception of underwear, which dwarves cannot make. If you absolutely don't want your dorfs to use foreign underwear, don't buy it from the elven caravan, and dump (or otherwise 'f'orbid) all the invader stuff.
3. The danger criterion from the battle log is that the victim has been bitten and that in such a was as the skin was broken (basically drawing blood). There is no strict entry in the log for transfer. Also, infection rate is not 100%. I'd say the second victim SHOULD be safe, since the skin wasn't broken by the bite, but I'd still quarantine the victim (all quarantined victims should be separated from each other, to protect those not afflicted from being massacred by those who were.
4. I think I've seen others having had unexplainable "creature occupying site" messages, but know of no answer. I'd try to cancel the building and then restart it, to see if that resets the problem. You might also try to search the forum and the bug tracker.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:44 am »

The only way to restrict what civilians wear is to stop letting them be civilians.  Draft them into a military squad, and assign a uniform with "replace clothing" set.  Then they won't wear anything except what's in the uniform.

Unfortunately, due to a long-standing bug, this won't work for any dwarf with the Mining, Hunting or Wood-cutting labor enabled.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:19:21 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:31 am »

Thanks guys!

The other dorf survived, but I do not know wether it was the method of the wounding or the infection rate. Guess some !!SCIENCE!! must be done about it. As for the clothing I wanted an uniform so I produce pig tail clothing (robes,pants,shoes) and get rid of the other materials and types for the sake of easier management.

Cheers Carolus

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:35 am »

One thing to note regarding usage of a uniform is that dorfs do not replace worn uniform items until they fall off their bodies. Wearing worn clothing makes them a bit unhappy, and uniforms block them from satisfying their need for new clothing items.

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:20:43 pm »

One thing to note regarding usage of a uniform is that dorfs do not replace worn uniform items until they fall off their bodies. Wearing worn clothing makes them a bit unhappy, and uniforms block them from satisfying their need for new clothing items.

hmm is the dfhack cleanowned all x or whatever mends this issue?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:13:59 pm »

I would expect (but don't know for sure) that to cause them to drop their worn clothing where they stand when finishing the next job, and then go fetch new clothes. If you use that it should probably be issued once a year or so.
You still probably wouldn't satisfy their clothing need fully, since they'd change everything at the same time, rather than one piece at a time, and I don't think a larger need fulfillment dose lasts longer (but that's just speculation).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:08:20 pm »

Carolus, I share your need for uniformly revealed stone tiles. For the most part, I'm just very careful about how I designate things. I believe you can use the DFhack 'unreveal' command to hide tiles behind constructed walls, though I'm not sure since I haven't used dfhack for a while.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:13:11 pm »

Try revflood?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:13:16 am »

what's revflood do?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 11:18:32 am »

Hides areas that are sealed off.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:15 pm »

I don't know if it will preserve the hidden-ness of caverns, nor keep sealed-off rooms from being completely hidden.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
UUUO
U..
U=hidden
O=wall
.=floor

In this case, the hidden tiles will be revealed after a revflood usage.

OOO
O.C
OOO

The sealed-off room (sealed off with a constructed wall) will be hidden after a revflood usage. So you won't know how your sealed-off werebeast-dwarf is - UNLESS you used a bridge to block him off. Or a deep pit or a magma channel or something like that.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »

Hello fellow overseers!

I tried your answers before, but I haven't got closer to the solution my findings so far:
Concerning civilian uniform:
- draft your dwarves to squads add uniform however stupid dorfs (cannot say it's definitely true) wont remove mittens, hoods whatever because of later equiped jewelery

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-problem No.1 the dorfs won't replace tattered uniform to fresh ones so you have to manualy assign them a nudist uniform, take care of the worn clothes than assign the normal uniform

Revealed tiles:

-the dfhack reveal command reveals the whole map excluding HFS, if you use revtoggle or unreveal the caverns still visible but the inaccesible tiles revert back to FoW

- revflood does the same but the "flood" goes through constructed walls so not good to me

Werebeast:

-still no clue

Bug:

- I haven't encountered another one yet

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 01:26:03 pm »

hmm I'm quite baffled, the revflood gone through my dining hall wall just right

I don't know if it will preserve the hidden-ness of caverns, nor keep sealed-off rooms from being completely hidden.

Like this:

UUUO
U..
U=hidden
O=wall
.=floor

In this case, the hidden tiles will be revealed after a revflood usage.

OOO
O.C
OOO

The sealed-off room (sealed off with a constructed wall) will be hidden after a revflood usage. So you won't know how your sealed-off werebeast-dwarf is - UNLESS you used a bridge to block him off. Or a deep pit or a magma channel or something like that.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »

Then I am completely wrong about how revflood works. I'll go ask a DFHack expert on how to disallow constructed walls from the flood. Ignore my previous posts regarding revflood.
Sigtext!