Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping Imported Tools on Civilians  (Read 636 times)

Ryga_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping Imported Tools on Civilians
« on: April 21, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »

I've been able to import some knives from caravans, (and this is also partially pertaining to wanting to mod in crafting for the knives), but will civilian dwarves claim and carry around tools with attacks like the Meat Cleaver?

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Imported Tools on Civilians
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:26:06 pm »

I have absolutely no idea..... What are you trying to achieve? 

Ryga_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »

Looking through the raws I noticed that all the knives and fork tools have weapon attacks on them, so i was thinking about making my own versions in a mod to give to my dwarves, but I wanted to know if they would even claim them and use them since they're tools. So far in my fort none of them have wanted to pick them up, but I'm wondering if it's just because they don't have a preference for them? I just thought it would be funny to have my civilian population running around with eating utensils that they could use in an emergency.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:57:03 pm »

way over my head, except I am under the impression that most civilians will run away in pretty much any situation, but I know nothing about mods.  Patrick lundel?

Ryga_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:21:29 am »

Sorry if I should've asked in the modding thread! Since you can get them in vanilla through trading, I was just curious if dwarves would even pick them up and claim them.

The modding bit is irrelevant.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:54 am »

I only have a reference from .34.11 - things could have changed in the meantime (although they quite likely haven't).

Only "large dagger"s can be equipped as military weapons, i.e. are available through the "assign a particular weapon to a soldier's equipment" (m-e-choose position-W-specific weapon) command. The weapon-tool knives (carving knife, boning knife, slicing knife, and also meat cleaver and carving fork) are not offered through this dialogue. If this hasn't changed in the recent versions (quite likely), the easy and reliable way to equip your dwarfs with such knives is still not viable.

Civilians didn't pick up knives by themselves - the purchased knives and cleavers just sat in the depot without being moved. In recent versions, dwarfs with fitting material preferences could conceivably claim knives to satisfy the desire to acquire items, but i don't know if they'd actually equip them in a combat-usable way.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:24 am »

I've got no knowledge of this. As they can't be equipped as ordinary weapons, I assume they're usable in adventure mode only (which I have no experience with). I've considered getting some to try to equip gremlins with weapons (ordinary ones are too large), but I suspect kobold weapons (i.e. large daggers) are the only alternative there, and you need a bit of luck to nab a bunch of kobolds.
As said above, dorfs who like the material or the items may steal and carry them, but likely not equip them.
I tend to try to equip my civilians with a shield and a melee weapon of choice, and then have them train for a month per year (satisfies desire for martial arts training), and make sure they don't carry any food (will be dumped in their rooms to rot otherwise). This requires micro management, however, since you have to assign/deassign the squad(s) to the training facilities manually to prevent them from doing individual training rather than work during the rest of the year.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:50 pm »

There are suggestions for a system where dwarves would, if possible, carry around daggers or such to keep themselves from dying against keas or such.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 06:58:00 am »

Try this:

1.Retire fort (don't abandon).
2.Start an adventurer game in the same world.
3.As an adventurer, get a load of knives, meat cleavers, etc.
4.Travel to your fort. Trade with civilian dwarf, and give away knife for free.
5. After you've exited the trade screen, a message "<dwarfname> rearranges his possessions should appear. That would mean the dwarf has equipped the weapon.
6.Retire the adventurer, unretire the fort. See if this works!

Ryga_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »

That's such a ridiculous way to try it but amazing. I'm really rubbish at adventure mode though, but I'll def give it a go xD

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 08:46:08 pm »

There's a "force equip" command in dfhack that could make your dwarves pick up the cutlery and carry it around with them. Whether they will use it in combat is unknown, but I suspect they might.