Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Themed Mouse Cursors  (Read 3325 times)

PhilboBaggins

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It was inevitable
    • View Profile
    • Chad The Cow (Superb web design meets glorious functionality)
DF Themed Mouse Cursors
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »

Hello everybody. I have made a few DF-themed cursors. They are pretty basic and some of them definitely need some work, so please make your own and/or give me some suggestions!

Downloads
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11597
http://chadthecow.webs.com

This is the "Busy" one, which is usually a circle spinning around or an hourglass. As you may or may not be able to tell, it is supposed to be a dwarf being attacked by a flock of kea.

This is diagonal resize.

This is the other diagonal resize.

This is called "Help Select", I'm not sure what this is even used for but its usually just the normal cursor with a question mark. In this case the question mark is a plump helmet.

This is horizontal resize.

This is the regular old mouse pointer, usually just that boring white triangle on a stick but now enhanced to a dwarf that will follow you around your computer to click on things, sit there, or just have a chat.

This is the link select, the hand with the index finger pointing. Your mouse pointer will turn into a warrior dwarf when you wish to open a link.

This is precision select, usually a crosshairs. This is supposed to be a structure of microcline wall.

This is resize/move around. This one could definitely be improved.

This is text select and consists of 2 dwarves that are supposed to be carrying a barrel and a microcline statue, but it is kinda annoying to actually use so more ideas would be great.

This is "unavailable", usually the red circle with a slash through it. It is part of the DF intro movie thing.

This is vertical resize.

This is "working in background", usually the pointer with the spinning circle/hourglass. It is the pointer with a rotating masterwork symbol thing.

Feel free to use these and/or post your own cursors and suggestions. Credit to Toady and IBM code page 437 for the awesome characters!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:40:08 pm by PhilboBaggins »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Themed Mouse Cursors
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:03:14 am »

Awesome! I'll have to try these tomorrow.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 01:13:47 am »

The 'unavailable' cursor looks hideous, frankly.

I recommend replacing it with a flashing dwarf/question mark instead (indicating a pathing error in-game).

The rest look great, though. Thanks!
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:47 am »

The "working in background" looks like a dwarf working on a lever or something. Cool and relevant. Awesome work. (Except for that "unavailable" one, yeah. In general, avoid changing the cursor dramatically over time; flashing back and forth between two similar images, yes, running an animation, no.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:58:41 pm »

I used some of these myself, but couldn't stomach regular pointer and text select
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright