Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I play as a peasent or...?  (Read 3124 times)

ytuarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Should I play as a peasent or...?
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »

I like playing as peasant because it makes things more difficult and allows for you to develop your character more finely in my opinion but I wanna be able to make a super OP god char too, but from my understanding playing as a peasant doesn't allow you to do that because of some sort of stats cap. Is this true and is there anyway around this?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Should I play as a peasent or...?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:30:04 am »

You can play as a demigod and not allocate skill points.  The cap only applies to attributes.

ytuarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:53:03 am »

You can play as a demigod and not allocate skill points.  The cap only applies to attributes.
But wouldn't having high attributes as a peasent make me a tad bit to strong.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:26 am »

you can also not allocate attribute points and or tank your attributes into the pits and make a character so bad at everything at demigod. unless demigod does something else than give you more points to spend?
wonder what you think of playing an elephantman
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:20 am »

Demigod just gives more points, and changes the flavour text in your legends entry.

from my understanding playing as a peasant doesn't allow you to do that because of some sort of stats cap. Is this true and is there anyway around this?
There's a hard-coded cap depending on how high your stats are at the start, yes. As far as I know it's not a big difference, and you probably won't notice in the course of normal play.

Possibly, depends on your own preferences. You'll probably find yourself hitting foes less often (mostly skill-based) but doing more damage with a hit (mostly strength-based).

The best thing to do is to experiment and see what suits your play style best.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Should I play as a peasant or...?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 02:13:05 pm »

You can change the attribute caps with a bit of modding. It normally isn't that big of a deal, with peasant level attributes on a human you can still get to very high stats without these, but I quite like having very high caps too. As a warning though, these will probably greatly imbalance fortress mode soldiers, and you as well because most people you encounter just have base level untrained stats, so being at 4,000 on every stat will make you on average 4 times as good as everybody else, just on an attribute level. That's probably enough to beat most enemies you encounter if you were dabbling in every skill.

Anyway, here's the code just copy and paste this into one of the creature files. To access them go to the dwarf fortress/objects/raw/creature_standard and look for whatever creature you want to play as. Just put it in the code anywhere that isn't interrupting other [THINGS_IN_BRACKETS_LIKE_THIS] and is past the name for the creature. It should work.
Code: [Select]
        [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:STRENGTH:400]
[PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:AGILITY:400]
[PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:TOUGHNESS:400]
[PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:ENDURANCE:400]
[PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:RECUPERATION:400]
[PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:FOCUS:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:WILLPOWER:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:CREATIVITY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:INTUITION:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:PATIENCE:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:MEMORY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:SPATIAL_SENSE:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:MUSICALITY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:EMPATHY:400]
[MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:400]
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »

I'll echo Orange Wizard. It's best to experiment and see what you like best. Whatever you choose, you'll figure out the rest along the way.

ytuarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:07:42 pm »

You can change the attribute caps with a bit of modding. It normally isn't that big of a deal, with peasant level attributes on a human you can still get to very high stats without these, but I quite like having very high caps too. As a warning though, these will probably greatly imbalance fortress mode soldiers, and you as well because most people you encounter just have base level untrained stats, so being at 4,000 on every stat will make you on average 4 times as good as everybody else, just on an attribute level. That's probably enough to beat most enemies you encounter if you were dabbling in every skill.

Anyway, here's the code just copy and paste this into one of the creature files. To access them go to the dwarf fortress/objects/raw/creature_standard and look for whatever creature you want to play as. Just put it in the code anywhere that isn't interrupting other [THINGS_IN_BRACKETS_LIKE_THIS] and is past the name for the creature. It should work.

Appreciate it man, I'll make sure to keep a back up though just in case this is a little crazy.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »

I havent played as a peasant in awhile.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:47:41 pm »

Appreciate it man, I'll make sure to keep a back up though just in case this is a little crazy.
wait that works in Adventure mode now because there's a hefty bug where modded stats just straight up doesn't work for adventurers leaving you with powerful demigods race and one puny person of the same race who can't naturally punch holes into people then again that was natural skills so maybe attributes are safe?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:40:36 am »

I'll say what others have said - experiment a bit and see what you like best.

Thing is though, I myself find in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter how superhumanly strong and tough you are - even if you have great attributes and weapon skills a lucky blow can still end your life or atleast cripple you permanently. It's really not MUCH easier.

ytuarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »

I'll say what others have said - experiment a bit and see what you like best.

Thing is though, I myself find in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter how superhumanly strong and tough you are - even if you have great attributes and weapon skills a lucky blow can still end your life or atleast cripple you permanently. It's really not MUCH easier.

I'm going to most likely just try out like 3 different char's on each status and just see how my game goes with no modding or anything. I'm fairly sure I can enjoy this game even with out my super human peasant.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »

It's natural skills that has that bug, not attribute caps. And a bit of DFHackery can cheat fix all most of your bugs away.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!