Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: n00b advice: use herbalists  (Read 2738 times)

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: n00b advice: use herbalists
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 12:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LordBucket:

3) You don't need two axes. Bring more food.

You don't need any axes. Bring another pick or MORE BEER   :cool:

I like 3 pickaxes, a few units of food, and as much alcohol as I can cram into the wagons. This not only gives you drinks and dwarf happiness, it also gives you food (mincing the beer, y'know) and free barrels.

Of course, since I reformatted my computer my USB drives don't work, and my game is stuck on my data stick until I figure out how to fix the problem...

Herbalists are great, though. In my most recent game I started with a Proficient Herbalist and the amount of alcohol/food that was generated in the first few seasons was staggering.

[ April 13, 2007: Message edited by: Kylaer ]

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 05:18:00 am »

quote:
RPB:
One good fisherdwarf takes care of your food production for the first year

I don't think I would want to suggest fishing to new players. In my case, it took me a long time to realize that I had to prepare the fish. I lost a fortress or two from having a zillion fish and not realizing the dwarves couldn't eat them. Plus, in my early game-play, fishing seemed to generate more miasma than anything else. Rubbish piles for fish bones isn't obvious.

quote:
Core Xii:
a nile farm up asap

I've never actually built one of these. My first farms were right in my hallways. My first few succesful irrigated farms were maybe two spaces from the river, and after that I pretty much stopped building anything before the river. Actually, I think I hit magma before I even understood that Nile farms were an option.

quote:
Fieari:
no need to worry about attacks from wells

Did this ever bother you in your first few fortresses? I don't remember having ever seen an attack from a well made between cliff face and river. Even after the river it seems rare.

quote:
alcohol matters is because it quintuples your food production as well as makes said food production faster

...isn't that a bug?

quote:
nowhere near as complicated as setting up an irrigation system for farms

True, but you don't need irrigation for a farm. Really, it's more aesthetics than anything else. What does irrigation get you, really? The ability to put your farm anywhere instead of just by the river, and have it be in a nice, enclosed area without mud getting in your hallways. It doesn't make anything more efficient.

quote:
and an herbalist. It's nowhere near as complicated as setting up an irrigation system for farms-- instead, you just need three buildings

Hmm. This may be a case of "different paths of learning the game." Dwarf Fortress is complicated enough (thankfully!) that there's isn't only a single valid order to learn how to do things in. In my case, I had irrigation up and running long before I figured out how to reliably brew alcohol. And I do mean a *long* time. Probably, ten or fifteen hours of real time afterwards.

quote:
seizer:
feed a 100-dwarf fortress with 1 herbalist/brewer/cook

Too dangerous for my tastes. If your Legendary herbalist goes fey or gets eaten by something, it's going to be awfully difficult to replace him with Novice ones.

[ April 13, 2007: Message edited by: LordBucket ]

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

By. the way, in my opinion floodgates are not difficult to understand. It's only a problem insofar as this happens at a stage of the game where you're still trying to figure out the interface and how workshops work and whatnot, so the bit about floodgates on top of it may lead to information overload.

But then again, herbalism isn't all that easy and straightforward, either. Fishing could be easy, but in my experience, it again requires some interface twiddling to get the fish actually processed. Dwarves rather catch more fish than to prepare the one at hand, I learned that the hard way.

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>
I, for one, am reminded of the incident where thousands were fed of seven fish</STRONG>

Wait, are you saying that all cookdwarves are actually Jesus! Holy Crap! It all makes sense now!

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:

originally posted by chaos theory:

Wait, are you saying that all cookdwarves are actually Jesus! Holy Crap! It all makes sense now!

no only the brewer/cookdwarves

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Where do the Carpenters come in?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Barrels for the booze, of course! (Unless you make metal barrels - but that's blasphemous.)

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

Well attacks are possible everywhere. I just lost one dwarf to a group of snakemen jumping out of my well. And all my wells are located before the cave river.
Pages: 1 [2]