Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Totally Amazed by hunting  (Read 3114 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Amazed by hunting
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 12:48:00 am »

Do animals not respawn anymore? I know in the original versions, a set number of certain animal populations would always be present. Every time I killed a nightwing, a new one would respawn immediately. Do things actually go "extinct" or endangered now?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

quote:
Since when was hunting repaired?

As far as I know, 23a?

I've read a lot of posts about people who say that hunters are stupid and unreliable... But out of 20 hunters since I began playing this game, only about half died or were injured. And even when they did get hurt, they brought a sizable amount of meat to the fortress before it happened.

Fair game to me.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>
I've read a lot of posts about people who say that hunters are stupid and unreliable...</STRONG>

Well back forever ago when I first got into DF (about 21.60-) hunting didnt work at all, the hunters would just walk in a straight line along the edge of the map and sometime get a kill, but then get killed by a pack of elephants (You know, the king of beasts, the true ones) because AI was alot worse then.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>Do animals not respawn anymore? I know in the original versions, a set number of certain animal populations would always be present. Every time I killed a nightwing, a new one would respawn immediately. Do things actually go "extinct" or endangered now?</STRONG>

All animals have three things that determine how many of them spawn: A "frequency", a "cluster number" and a "population number". So yes, they do go extinct, once their total number reaches 0. Every time they spawn (which is determined by the frequency) a number of them pop into existance (the cluster #). Once they are dead it waits to spawn another group.

Some example max populations:

Mountain goats: 15-30
Frogmen: 10-20
Troll: 5-10
Deer: 15-30
Fox: 10-20
Raccoon: 10-20
Cougars: 2-3
Wolves: 10-20

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

Sounds like it needs to partially replenish the population number each spring, or maybe just have a chance to. So slaughtering the wildlife will have a long-term impact, without perminatly depopulating the countryside.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

that's terribly unfortunate. I guess I'll have to go through and edit the raws so the populations of everything (or at least everything huntable) is 999999999999 or something.

it seems odd to me that hunting, which is the most risky way to get food is the one method that is unsustainable. bagging 30 deer and that making them extinct forever in your area seems a bit silly.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

I beleive that if wildlife stays on the map long enough it will repopulate.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 02:27:00 am »

I thought the population number indicated how many could potentially appear in a year, the cluster number how many per group that appears, and frequency being how likely (with respect to other creatures that can appear) they are to spawn.  I'm pretty sure population number works the way I think it does for fishable creatures, at least.  It seems to affect how many can be caught each year.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

I had one marksdwarf hunter, who had previously brought back dead jaguars, die while hunting one. When I investigated, I found no trace of bolts on the ground or in his quiver, leading me to presume that he brought one, fired it, and then charged the jaguar and got ripped to shreds.

My other hunter machine-gunned that same jaguar to death a couple minutes later.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

I had a hunter that became legendary marksdwarf hunting deer, fox, wolves and several jaguars. For some time he had "no job" and I thought that all huntable wildlife was extinct on my map and made him a hauler. After some time I found him in the forest hunting and there was a grisly bear nearby. All 5 bolts that the hunter took with him in a quiver were machine-gunned from 15 tiles away. Only 1 bolt hit the bear and did a minor wound. Then the hunter was pursuing the bear that was actively running away across 2/3 of the local 6x6 map. He finally managed to ambush the bear but didn't even score a single hit as his upper arm was completely torn away. The bear wrestled with him for some time but then got bored and wandered away. The legendary marksdwarf (hunter) who wasn't agile at all and not so strong but superdwarvenly tought was rescued to bed in the barracks without right upper arm, left upper leg, right foot and with some other minor injuries.
He died more then 1 season later from dehydratation because he was losing consciousness from time to time and there is currently no way to reinstall 'rest' job when it is interrupted for some reasons.
Maybe I should coscript him into the military while he was chasing the bear with empty quiver but that would be irreversible and I would lose a great hunter.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

I think population numbers may get replenished over time if you leave the animals alone for a while. Once you get it down to 0, though, you won't get any more animals of that type ever.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

So, theoretically, I could trap a bunch of animals, NOT train them, and keep them in a wildlife reserve, occasionally releasing a few to be hunted?
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.
Pages: 1 [2]