Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Totally Amazed by hunting  (Read 3113 times)

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Totally Amazed by hunting
« on: December 09, 2007, 04:44:00 am »

Since when was hunting repaired?
I got totally amazed when I but 3 peasants hunting when they immigrated. About half hour later i started wondering that why on earth  haven't any of those so called "hunters" died. Checked stockpiles and unit lists to find out that those guys killed all wildlife on that map and were still scavenging for some more. After that I thought it might be better to build crossbows for those guys so they wouldn't need to kill all those animals by their hands...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Amazed by hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 04:46:00 am »

Hunting is like solo sparring, but with meat output.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:23:00 am »

Don't hunter immigrants bring their own crossbows?
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:26:00 am »

They are fixed as in they now use their makeshift clubs instead of running all over the map(while under attack) in the hope to fetch a single bolt.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>Don't hunter immigrants bring their own crossbows?</STRONG>

Thats true, but he said he made 3 Peasants into hunters

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

Yeah, hunting has been quite useful since z-levels were added. Just take care of the usual dangerous wildlife.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

Sometimes I end up getting one or two very skilled/useful hunters.. usually, though, one of 'em ends up attacking something they'd have been much better off leaving alone and gets slaughtered. :/

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

Edit: Accidental double post.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

It would be great if animals were arranged into 3-4 categories based on their size/power and we could restrict hunters to only go after ones above/below a certain range.

So like a groundhog or deer would be a 1,  wolves and things 2,  elephants 4,  carp a 10 and so on.

Just something general so that if we have a map with 20 deer and a wolf, we can tell our peasant hunts to only try to punch the deers.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

@ Nos3y
Oh yeah. Oops.  ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

I noticed hunting has gotten much in this version-mostly because they save thier shots until their really close. Now they can take out 4 or 5 animals with a full quiver.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

Watch out though, I tried a fort based only on hunting as a food source and 2 hunters were enough to get rid of all animals in just under a year.

I had deer for spring and summer, wolves for autumn and early winter, and then - nothing, not a single animal for the rest of the fort's life.

Good thing I had some farms going to plant cave wheat and sweet pods for booze. I had to swap them over to pump helmets real quick or everyone would have starved.

It's a shame really, because the hunters worked GREAT. Even when there were only wolves they brought those in with no problems other then a few minor injuries here and there that healed quickly.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

I started my fortress with one guy with several points into Ambusher and Speardwarf, hoping that he'd sneak about the map and stab things to death.  I watched as he steadily killed his way through the local animal population and he kept getting experience in Wrestler.  I then realized that he did not actually bring a spear with him, he had simply been running down wolves and beating them to death.
He was killed by the Hydra, but five years later the only wild animals are a few mountain goats.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Bluey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

Before my last fort died in a mass of tantrums, I had a legendary hunter. He actually got to a point where he was legendary in a couple of different weapons.
When he got mangled by being at the map edge on arrival of the gobbos, he did survive. Unfortunetly he spent about 5 years in bed before going mad and dieing. That was pretty much what set off the tantrums.

EDIT: forgot to mention, he was pretty much killing every animal who came on to the map on his own. Spent most of his time bumming around partying.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Bluey ]

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »

I had an issue where a hunter was not so much "hunting" as he was "committing genocide", killing every deer in sight and leaving the corpses to rot.  He was solely responsible for destroying the ecosystem of the region I was in.

By the time I found out I could send out the peons to get the corpses it was too late.

Pages: [1] 2