Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tips on sparring  (Read 1800 times)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on sparring
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>Yup, ahead of the game there too. I dunno.. they spar while they're at different skill levels, but not while they're all at the same level. I'd train against the helpless animals, but there no wildlife on my map... so I'm gonna give them all different weapons and see if that achieves anything.</STRONG>

This is very strange, as currently two of my swordsdwarves are at the same skill level and they spar with each other often. I think they're both at "skilled" or "competent" or something right now.

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Once they two get close enough they start sparring.</STRONG>

Are you sure of that? I just watched a soldier loitering around in front of the cave entrance, having a fag or whatnot. Then suddenly he bolted: sparring in barracks.

Now the barracks are a quite removed from the cave entrance. The average soldier, after having trecked that far, is totally exhausted and in need of a drink or two: That's how far it is.

So I wondered how the thought struck him and who he might be sparring with. My military being rather small, there was only one other soldier sparring. Although closer to the barracks than the first one, he might still have been 100 tiles away.

Although I'm not 100% sure of this, it looks as if sparring was a job like any other: dwarfs wonders what to do, dwarf decides on a task, dwarf gets there and does it (unless he's overcome by thirst, hunger, sleep, or any other distraction).

Remains the question wether two specific dwarfs decide on fighting each other (they *are* psychic) or wether it's a personal thing and single dwarves march towards the barracks in the hope of finding someone likeminded.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>Remains the question wether two specific dwarfs decide on fighting each other (they *are* psychic) or wether it's a personal thing and single dwarves march towards the barracks in the hope of finding someone likeminded.</STRONG>

Well, in that one experiment I mentioned before where I locked two dwarves in a room, they both got the "sparring in barracks" job at the exact same time... Coincidence? They then proceeded to bumble around the room for a while before they found each other... Who knows what all that means, but it's what I saw...

(Oh, and for the record, the two dwarves were Melbil and Urist from my One Dwarf Against the World thread... I was testing potential Melbil fates and I had thought I'd make them fight it out, but it didn't work so... I don't mean to be too off topic...)

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>
Well, in that one experiment I mentioned before where I locked two dwarves in a room, they both got the "sparring in barracks" job at the exact same time... Coincidence?</STRONG>

I believe that's because of the way the game engine works, it polls for jobs and stuff at specific intervals. It's very common to see ALL dwarves get new tasks at the same instant.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>

I believe that's because of the way the game engine works, it polls for jobs and stuff at specific intervals. It's very common to see ALL dwarves get new tasks at the same instant.</STRONG>

From what I've seen, they only change tasks once the previous one gets cancelled/completed.

Pages: 1 [2]