Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Menu/Interface/LIST display  (Read 602 times)

ThunderOhm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Menu/Interface/LIST display
« on: January 21, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

Niddhoger

Bay Watcher     

Alphabetize/Search Stockpile Lists/Trade Interface
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:51:57 am »

ReplyQuote

I know this is already in the Eternal Suggestions Thread, but the alphabetize suggestions was buried at the very bottom with 0 votes next to it.  This would be a HUGE help.  Instead of hunting through the tiny text of a trade interface to see if they have any "Rose Gold XXX" that your baron demands for his new dining room table, you would be able to simply hit "n" and start typing "rose gold" in the trade window to find bars, trinkets, flutes, etc to smelt down/use.  This could also be used when dealing with the liaison.  So you didn't find flux stone yet/none on your map? Instead of meticulously hunting through the 4+ pages of the stones submenu, you could simply type in "Marble" like at embark.  Or, when you go the stone submenu, it will be neatly listed in alphabetical order.  Sometimes, I have to scroll through the whole thing 4-5 times to see if I missed "calcite" or if the liaison simply can't bring it to me.  I could just scroll down and see that there is nothing between "Brimstone" and "Chromite" before scrolling down to check of "marble" is between "Kimberlite" and "Microline."

Or perhaps I want to make a stockpile only for items I want to mill.  Say I'd prefer to only mill the dimple cups and save the whip vines for booze.  Instead of hunting through the (insanely bloated with DF2014's garden vegetables) food menu, I could either type in "whip vine" Or scroll to the bottom of the list and find it.  As it is, the items aren't even sorted by type... some of the berries are clumped together, some are not.  If there is any rhyme or reason to the lists.... I'm simply not seeing it.  The "flour" plants seem to be clumped (all the wheast, oats, barely, etc), but then the other ones (the millets) are further down the list...  It seems like they are sorted by the last word -plant, -wheat, -millet, but then the -amaranths have "red spinach" right between "Purple Amaranth" and "Elephant-Ear Amaranth" Then longland grass and whip vine are at the very bottom (instead of near the other flour based plants).  You get the idea...

Even if the items aren't listed alphabetically, can they at least have better sub menus? Something like plants with separate "Mill->flour" "Mill->dye" "brew" "process->thread" etc (or at least arrange them in the submenus this way).  At the very least due this for the trade interface! I know the items are sorted with bars at the top, but its all one huge list.  It can be tiresome telling when one category ends and another begins.  The fact that we can't see most items entire names further exacerbates this.  Also, bags with sand are freely mixed with empty bags, etc.  Instead I'd like to AT LEAST see spacers between the categories. So when bars ends and cages begins, there could be a black space (Better yet, one with a ~CAGES~ Header).  Something like the stocks subscreen or embark/liaison menu with categories on the side.. .anything to keep it from being one huge multiple page behemoth of a list.

Without adding the "n->search" function from embark to these menus, simply alphabetizing the various stock screens and submenus would save so much time/annoyance sorting through a menu multiple times looking for that one specific item to enable/disable.  It (should) even be an easy fix! I hate to sound ungrateful, but Toady is adding worldgen designations for north/south pole while overlooking this simple, massively time saving, fix? Its at the point I wouldn't mind "sponsoring" this addition.

While I agree with some of what you have to say. I mainly would like to see the entirety of a name when searching through lists, not just "Red Oak, M........." or "Masterful white ye...." When I clearly have copious amounts of free space on my menu in order to display the full name. I haven't been able to find a way around this, and I'm not sure if its a bug or not, but I find this the only real annoying part of the interface. I don't mind how everything is disordered through the item lists etc. I don't think it needs to be alphabetized. It's almost as if it is organized in such a way where it makes it difficult to forget less used items by throwing in there names in random spots. I would also very much like to see a way to control which items a workshop will use, IE disabling items directly from the workshop, instead of creating fifty custom stockpiles and micromanaging the flow of goods around what items you want to save, and deplete. Anyway. Great game. Been playing for a week.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Menu/Interface/LIST display
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:29 pm »

Sigh... First, if this is in response to a suggestion, post it there. Second, please separate suggestions (at least by paragraph). Third, I cannot tell what your overall suggestion is. So you're fine with disordered lists, and don't want search function, so why do you even include the quote? And can you give a screenshot of these cut-off words? Finally, the ability to order workshops to use a specific material is a common suggestion. Please search before you post.

I always welcome new players, but please work a little more on the detail and organization of your suggestion.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!