Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I love untrained recruits.  (Read 2577 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I love untrained recruits.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

My favorite untrained recruit has always been the woodworker.  He stands in as an unofficial militia until the real military moves in.  Tears everything apart with that axe, he just cleared my fortress of skeletal and zombie rhesus macaques, saving my engraver.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>My favorite untrained recruit has always been the woodworker.  He stands in as an unofficial militia until the real military moves in.  Tears everything apart with that axe, he just cleared my fortress of skeletal and zombie rhesus macaques, saving my engraver.</STRONG>

FEE FI FO FUM
I smell a lot of chopped-up zombie monkeys!

Love this game.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

I usually make one of my starting dwarves a woodcutter/beaurocrat/axedwarf. Record keeping is an insane stat boost when there isn't wood that needs cutting, and he keeps an axe on him at all times, making him an excellent fast response militia. Now if only we could assign armor to civy dwarves so I could keep him walking around in leather/chain at all times...

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

I had a recruit take out a named elephant a while back.  I was relatively new to the game, and had caught the elephant in a cage.  Well, I figured I'd put him in the cage with the rest of the random animals, over the dining room.  Apparently Dwarfy McIdiot thought letting the untamed dwarfkiller elephant out was a better idea.  It ran through my marksdwarf squad, taking a half-dozen wounds but killing them all.      My remaining military was a squad of three completely green recruit wrestlers, one of which just happened to idly be nearby.  He charged the thing and two seconds later it was unconscious on the ground, and a few seconds later, strangled to death.  I immediately gave the uninjured recruit a royal bedroom and prompt retirement.  What a fine fellow.

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Erom:
<STRONG>I usually make one of my starting dwarves a woodcutter/beaurocrat/axedwarf. Record keeping is an insane stat boost when there isn't wood that needs cutting, and he keeps an axe on him at all times, making him an excellent fast response militia. Now if only we could assign armor to civy dwarves so I could keep him walking around in leather/chain at all times...</STRONG>

If memory serves, they'll also wear light armor if they're on hunting duty.

The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Sure, but that has the unfortunate side effect of them running all around the twice-blasted map after some groundhog or something, when they have important pen and paper related exercise to do.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Coulden't you lock them indoors? With no way to get out and hunt, woulden't the go to the next prioritized task on their list, which should be record-keeping.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dadamh:
<STRONG>I had a recruit take out a named elephant a while back.  I was relatively new to the game, and had caught the elephant in a cage.  Well, I figured I'd put him in the cage with the rest of the random animals, over the dining room.  Apparently Dwarfy McIdiot thought letting the untamed dwarfkiller elephant out was a better idea. </STRONG>
For future reference, moving animals from one cage to another involves letting the animal out of the first cage, dragging it to the second cage, and then locking it in. Thus, it's not recommended that you try to reassign animals' cages unless the animals in question are tame. That counts doubly so for goblins, colossi, and the like.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

Heh, I just started out a new fort, out in the desert.  The only feature is a hole in the ground full of lava and fire imps.
I've got a clerk who's got a good sampling of business/management/social skills (and nothing else), with nothing to do, so I have him smoothing off the obsidian at the top of the volcano.  Out pops a fire imp, and it's messing with everyone, making them panic...then I draft the clerk  :mad: , and he just wrestles the damn thing to death in seconds.  Barely got scratched, and now he's a novice wrestler.
Guess all that pencil pushing really builds up the muscles.  Or it was his furious office-worker rage.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.
Pages: 1 [2]