Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I love untrained recruits.  (Read 2579 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I love untrained recruits.
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

During my fort's infancy, there are those common kobold thieves coming to steal my massive hoard of turtle bone bracelets. The cheap kind. Anyway, with untethered war dogs and no military, it's a bit tough to get someone with skill to kill 'em. So I draft the nearest yokel and it ends up being someone unarmed, usually.
This latest time a mason and fisher were the closest. They have been beating on this unconscious kobold for at least a day game-time. The only uninjured portion of him is his left foot. It's as if they keep on kicking him nervously. They stop to check his pulse, yep still there, keep kickin'. Neither realizes that it would be a good idea to go for the head or maybe just suffocate him.
There he goes, finally.
Well, I guess it was a learning experience.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Stephen Ginson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love untrained recruits.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

I imagine they just gave him indian burns (dwarf burns) until he died.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Think that's mean? I had my adventurer lashing a poor cyclops for over a day(his eye was lashed out, so he was harmless    :D ). He kept regaining consciousness and then giving up to pain. I can only imagine what his skin lookes like. Finally, I got tired abd switched my adventurer to wrestling and he suffocated the poor bastard.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: NikkTheTrick ]

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

Reminds me of a time when my untrained silk gatherer managed to kill a GCS without any weapons... Sadly he died too.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Silu ]

I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Any dwarf who kills a GCS should, in an ideal world, immediately be promoted to champion status and have statues and engraven images carved of him.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silu:
<STRONG>Reminds me of a time when my untrained silk gatherer managed to kill a GCS without any weapons... Sadly he died too.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Silu ]</STRONG>

Or, I don't know, ascend to a divine status as protector of dwarve's everywhere. Damn that must have been a crazy sonofabitch...

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

I started a fortress in goblin territory and once in a while a goblin drunk harases one of my dwarves who will then get drafted. Last time that happened there also was an unusual long fight, i just kept getting messages of "fourth left finger of right arm of goblindrunk badly bruised, third left toe of left leg of goblindrunk badly bruised, goblindrunk has difficulty breathing" and so on for atleast an ingame day, it was pretty hilarious.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Lotus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

I once embarked right next to a chasm. The moment I unpause the game a GCS jumps out of the chasm. Those 7 untrained peasants sure took a long time to kill it. Two died in the process, and the other five beat on it for atleast a game day.
Lotus~

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

When I have a recruit swat a kobold, it usually goes like this:

Recruit wins... fatality.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

I remember a time when I drafted everyone into the military during a siege, then ordered them all to wait in the dining room.
One guy decides that he is going to stay in our very own hall of traps 'till he is brutally killed by a goblin squad. I tell him to get an axe, and it turns out he had one on him (don't ask me how, he apparently was a woodcutter, but the game said he was unarmed).

Something clicks in him and he decides to attack a squad by himself, falls into a trance and wipes them out, then runs back in. Apparently the enemies had trolls and we survived because of that one dwarf.

Then I had a power surge, followed by a tantrum spiral.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

Seriously though, a peasant dwarf with no wrestling skill can be a _dangerous_ opponent, because those punches can be fast if he's agile. And with the combat system as it is, all you need is a little luck, BAM, he's stunned, pained or unconcious and the recruit can punch him to death while he lays there on the ground.

Also, lol at the mental image of two dwarves kicking a goblin thief over and over...

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

well apparently 2 of my wrestlers thought the steel crossbows i gave them are best used to bludgeon opponents to death, theyre both now legendary wrestlers with high hammerdwarf skills, not even dabbling marksdwarfs   :roll:

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Heh, that happens all the time. Either make more bolts, or make some hammers.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

Whats actually a good way to make a dwarf agile? One of my miners is unbelievably agile (a joy to watch him run around and dig, like a machine) but i think i also have another miner wich is just tough and strong, can't really make lots of sense out of it.

edit: From what i understand its random depending on general xp? Dunno.
[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

It is random. So stuff like mining or engraving is the best way to train attributes; they go faster and faster as the dwarf gets more experienced.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: [1] 2