Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't seem to smooth stone?  (Read 7358 times)

DragonOfWar900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't seem to smooth stone?
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:59:14 am »

I'm starting to smooth and engrave my fort. But for some reason there are spots were i can't seem to smooth. I have two cavern wall tiles and four cavern floor tiles that are not smoothed. When i designate to smooth those tiles, they don't get designated. What does that?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Can't seem to smooth stone?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:32:43 am »

the surface being not rock or mineral would do that. Look at the spots using the (k) command and tell us what it says.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DragonOfWar900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:24:30 am »

I just built a floor on the floor spots. The both unsmoothed wall tiles are made of Rough-hewn chalk wall

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Make sure you don't have it set to 'marker only'
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:38:19 pm »

Also make sure the engraver can reach them, so there isn't e.g. a hole blocking access. However, you should still be able to designate tiles that cannot be reached, they'll just not be processed. Constructed walls and floor cannot be smoothed either.

I'd try to remove designations from the area and then try to redesignate smooting, in case there is something else being designated somehow.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:40 am »

May i very simply ask in addition, are you trying to smooth dirt (loam/sand/clay)? you cannot smooth those surfaces, i recommend building a path over them or replacing the floor to suit your needs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:54:23 am »

I just built a floor on the floor spots. The both unsmoothed wall tiles are made of Rough-hewn chalk wall
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:32:52 pm »

Only floors and walls built out of blocks (via the mason workbench) will be smooth, constructed floors and walls made out of raw stone cannot be carved or smoothed, and also not engraved (that's saved for smooth walls both constructed out of blocks and naturally smoothed)

Walls are not suitable replacement for actual 'floor' tiles even though they offer a walkable space above, because of how they block the tile below, plus how some dwarven behaviours appear to be buggy in comparison to normal floors (meaning you will likely have to place floor blocks over the walls you have in the floor)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:51:17 pm »

I don't think you understand any of this. Rough-hewn means carved wall, not built; smooth block walls cannot be engraved; he was never talking about building a wall instead of a floor.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!