Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I don't remember putting in Green Fl... oh.. oh gods. (Taverns)  (Read 2653 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: I don't remember putting in Green Fl... oh.. oh gods. (Taverns)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 09:52:36 am »

I don't think vomiting is much related to alcohol or taverns. Puking from alcohol seems very very rare. Creatures that puke from alcohol tend to die from it, too.

I have two taverns. One for my dwarves and permanent residents, inside my fort, and one for visitors, outside my fort. My dwarves use both, but prefer the tavern inside, since it's closer to their workplaces.
The inside tavern never has any puke in it, and if it has, it's cleaned before I can spot it.
The outside tavern however is completely covered in puke.

Not from drinking, but from cave adaptation sickness. The outside road is also covered in puke. The fort entrance not so much. I'd explain that by guessing that most dwarves about to enter the fort have been outside for a while, and probably already puked their guts out before getting back inside.

So my guess is, your tavern is situated on a route that takes dwarves through sunlight, which makes them puke there.

Only way to control which areas have a better chance to get cleaned, is to make sure you have a meeting zone / room as close as possible to it for idle dwarves to gather.
Then, if an idle dwarf does decide to take a cleaning job, it will take the closest cleaning job available, and thus clean more often near your preferred area.

That said, cleaning jobs should get higher priority. Right now, it kinda looks like 'idle' has a higher task priority than 'clean', lol.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:18 am »

That said, cleaning jobs should get higher priority. Right now, it kinda looks like 'idle' has a higher task priority than 'clean', lol.

Sounds realistic to me. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 02:58:08 pm »

Puking from alcohol happens in my tavern from time to time. I've also seen dorfs passed out in puddles of puke with breathing problems. Only one has died from it, though, while the rest have walked away feeling nauseous and trailing puke.

I've seen it said cleaning is a job very much dependent upon dorfs' personality/preferences, and that they don't tend to travel far to do cleaning.

There has been some investigations regarding alcohol poisoning death in another thread, indicating death happens only to those very susceptible to disease, unconsciousness to those susceptible, etc. I think those investigations were done on dorfs, though, with some other reports indicating most goblin visitors die from it. All of this is rereporting of what I've read, so take it with an appropriate amount of salt.

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »

Building destroyers can't break bars from below? News to me.

From what I understand, they can break stuff from below if (and only if) they have a valid path to it from above.  Could be wrong, but I think breakable objects like grates or locked doors/trap doors in the way count as blocking that path.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:45:18 pm by infrequentLurker »
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."
Pages: 1 [2]