Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why didnt they migrate to the wiki to a new namespace?  (Read 1581 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Why didnt they migrate to the wiki to a new namespace?
« on: December 13, 2015, 06:41:39 pm »

"Saves from v0.40.24 are compatible with v0.42.03! We will not be migrating to a new namespace, although the current "DF2014" namespace may be renamed to "v0.42" in the near future."

40.24 and 42.03 are more different then 31.01 and 34.11 in terms of gameplay, why did they decide not to migrate the wiki? saves are compatible yes, but you dont get the new features and the game has a completely different flow now and adventurer mode feels much better, and most of the sites have changed. etc.

Most of the articles still are not up to date in the slightest as-well.

Why did we choose not to do it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:42:24 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why didnt they migrate to the wiki to a new namespace?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:09:17 am »

Save compatibility is pretty strange criteria for that. Yep, they should create new namespace. Otherwise someone playing 0.40 may be terribly confused by wiki content that apply only for 0.42.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:51 am »

It takes up space to create an entire new namespace for every old 2014 page on the wiki. Not to mention a lot of time, unless you create/use a bot.

At the moment it's easier to just update the old pages and cite the new info with the DF 42 tag instead.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:44 am »

If I'm not mistaken, a namespace in mediawiki is literally a full copy of the wiki that just gets linked, so I can imagine them being a bit more conservative.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »

This might be a bit of overestimation on my part, but I feel like 42.x might be the version people flock to for the next little bit. 34.11 was similar. I know a fair number of people stuck with 34.11 because of mods, sieges and overall stability when 40.x came out. In this way, the playerbase might be treating 40.x as a bit of a stepping stone version, despite its importance to the game. 42.x is looking stable, the features it adds are fantastic and it demands new strategies entirely. The changes that 40.x implemented made it possible, but I sense some people will lump the two together as the wiki namespace thing has done.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:53:53 am »

Has removing old namespaces been in consideration?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!~

No removing the 23a! I use that stuff when I play the oldest version!

DF2012 is still relevant, people play it, it's like DF2014 minus a bit of detail, some people like that. Also better FPS and until recently the best version with sieges.

DF2010 and 40d: Don't know so much about them, but 40d was like halfway between 23a and DF2010, and I've played a bit of DF2010, it's cool.

So basically all these things are still part of our culture and we should not get rid of them! Also people still play them.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

I guess that it is because 0.42.X doesn't chance any of the old systems, just added new ones.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:37:22 pm »

Well, it sort of does. Adventure mode is greatly different, and many things changed/added; instruments, toys, etc. changed; "On Break" is replaced by socialization or meditating; and so on.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:00:09 pm »

Well, it sort of does. Adventure mode is greatly different, and many things changed/added; instruments, toys, etc. changed; "On Break" is replaced by socialization or meditating; and so on.

Very true.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com