Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Dwarf Fortress Legend - Mestthos the Night Troll  (Read 752 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
A Dwarf Fortress Legend - Mestthos the Night Troll
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »

There was once a dwarf named Mestthos Dedukmafol. He had been around since the beginning of time itself, and rose to power in the year 74 as the mayor of the Tower of Bodices of Sandalwheel the mountain hall. But in the early autumn of that same year, he was abducted by Sandalwheel by Faintshades the Sable Shadow! He was imprisoned in Burialurns the Umbral Abysses, her lair, and she transformed him into a grotesque skinless humanoid, with three broad horns. Now you will know why you fear the night!

In the early summer of 84, Mestthos attacked the dwarf Tun Roadjoined. He was the youngest son of Minkot Workowned and Morul Workedwealth, born in 81. He had already escaped a night troll twice by now, once by Faintshades herself in the midspring of 83 and again by the starved man wife Dumed Neutralcloisters in the early summer of that same year. Keep in mind now, this dwarf is only three years old! Despite this, he escaped without a scratch. He ended up fleeing from many more night trolls until an actual troll killed him at the ripe old age of ten.

Over the next ten years, Mestthos attacked two more dwarves, but they both escaped. But then, in the late summer of 93, he struck down the dwaf Ral Helmedsabres in Craftfeast the mountain halls. Five escaped dwarves and five years later, he ambushed the dwarf Kubuk Feedhalls, who escaped. She was a hunter of great beasts, and had escaped night trolls many times before, with only a smashed arm. Four years later, he ambushed her. Again. She had a smashed ear now, and two more night troll escapes under her belt. But she would not survive this attack.

He leapt onto her from out of the bushes. Swinging her crossbow around, she aimed, but he knocked it out of her grasp. Still, the mighty woman would not give up and held onto Mestthos's arm as he went to punch her. With her strong grasp, she RIPPED OFF Mestthos's right lower arm. Rather annoyed, he killed her.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dwarf Fortress Legend - Mestthos the Night Troll
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:22:52 pm »

Excellent story!

... and your sig makes me remember when the elves brought useful cloth.  *weeping*
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

Thanks!

... and I, too, wish they'd bring more than wooden crafts. Though I wonder whether they'd bring instruments still? That'd be pretty useful.

I plan to add more about this guy (there's some pretty good duels left), and perhaps just great tales in general from my world.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:41:38 pm »

Given that elves are extinct in my fortworld, I haven't had opportunity to find out. :/
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com