Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Once and for all - sieges  (Read 1607 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Once and for all - sieges
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>Well, the elves thing can be tested, but how do you kill humans? I think drowning chambers will not count as murder, as the AI probably can't make the connection from the spontaneous inside flood to the racist dwarven mayor.</STRONG>

Back in the 2D version, if any trader died on your map, you were responsible. It lead to many forts getting incinerated because goblins killed the traders because you don't mess with elven ambushes.

Anyway, there's no reason to believe this would have changed if it's been implemented in this version.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Well, the tags are there in the raws. If you can't get them to siege, then it must be something hard coded, or at least something buggy with the [SIEGER] tag itself (as you'll notice that the Goblins don't have that tag either, but they most certainly do siege. Dwarves also have the [SIEGER] tag, strangely)

Maybe it's the [BABYSNATCHER] tag that decides if a race sieges you currently? Goblins are the only ones who have that tag.</STRONG>

Actually, from what I can tell from modding, it's the [ENTITY_GROUPING:EVIL] that makes a race just attack you on it's own. [SIEGER] and [AMBUSHER] determine what type of attack happens. [BABYSNATCHER] determines if the race tries to steal babies and do the smaller ambushes, or if they just siege from the get go.

For example, I have a new race called the Dyansauri, that are set as an EVIL race in the entity file, who lack the BABYSNATCHER tag. I've seen them siege as early as the first winter.

I also have a race that is set as EVIL, but with AMBUSHER instead of SIEGER. They still attack in sieges, since they're EVIL, but they show up invisible at the start of the siege and will sneak towards your fortress.

So, it seems to be an interesting combination of tags in the raws and hard coded stuff determining what is going on.

Not that it matters too much, yet, since the Army arc is going to be changing everything very soon when it comes to who attacks who.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

quote:
Magma DOES cool by itself when it's disconnected from its source (a magma vent).

so HAH :P  

I'm pretty sure this theory has been discredited a while ago in another topic. Maybe I can dig it up somewhere.

Also video evidence or it didn't happen!

edit: found it

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004086

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: WingDing ]

Pages: 1 [2]