Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead stairs  (Read 757 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead stairs
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:04:57 am »

So working on building a small guard tower that I will house a squad in just outside my entrance.  Contemplating a skybridge from the tower over to the main area and then sealing off the tower, just leaving 3rd level fortifications for a marksdwarf squad.  However I've hit a snag I can't figure out...

Level 1

Here's my main floor with access door.  They've built in flooring and put up an armor stand and a weapon rack.  The upward stair is built in the upper right corner.

Level 2

Here's the second level, going up.  Note the up/down stair (X) is already built so this was accessable from the first floor.  Also, they've floored in this floor as well.  This is after several attempts to get the third floor to work, I've built another up only staircase to the upper left of the floor.  Obviously, accessible from the first floor to build everything.  I've got a wall up on this floor as well.

Level 3

Here's the third level, going up and here is where my problem is.  You can see I've asked for a strip of flooring to be built.  It took the queue so it didn't "red out" and tell me no access to materials (although it only showed accessiblity to the logs laying on the wall adjacent on the north end).  I've had these queued for weeks now and no movement but not suspending the job either.  It's not the dwarfs lack of willingness to work, if I trigger floor 2 to destroy the existing stairs and then rebuild them, the dwarfs attack that job right away. 

So, I just can't figure out why my stairs are not lining up to work.  Yes, I've checked to be sure they are right above the second floor stairs.  I've moused over (k) to ensure they are "down" stairs.  Any idea on why this isn't working?  Never had this issue before.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead stairs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:09:16 am »

OK, well I've resolved the issue but still not sure why this didn't work. 

What I did was build another up stair on floor two, in the bottom left corner of the building.  However, I built this one out of stone instead of wood.  I then was able to build the 3rd floor stair, again with stone, but the wood just doesn't seem to work. 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:09:03 am »

In the future, when posting screenshots, please disable special DFHack plugins (such as your "display multiple Z-levels at once") so we can actually understand what's going on...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:56:32 am »

I'm not sure what you mean...yes I have DH...but each screen shot is one floor at a time. 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:06 am »

I'm not sure what you mean...yes I have DH...but each screen shot is one floor at a time. 
You're using "multilevel" mode, which displays lower Z-levels instead of "open space" and doesn't show any "ramp top" (i.e. ▼) tiles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:03 am »

Showing accessibility to a restricted set of items is usually an indication of a problem, namely that the build site is accessible from where the limited materials supply is, but not from your dorf. It can also happen when the "nearest" of a bunch if items is selected (e.g. the nearest pine log), causing the rest of the build process to only select from where that item was (forbidding the item in the wrong place can get around that, as can expansion and manual selection of materials skipping the "closest" one(s)).
Have the down stairs actually been constructed (I'm not using that tile set). If not, I'd guess they were selected to be constructed by material only available when you've actually built the down stair, i.e. stuff on the upper level. In that case, removing the construction designation and designate the building with material available below ought to solve the issue.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:10:51 am »

That's the problem...they are not built.  Changing from wood to stone in the exact same location worked however.  Guessing it had to do with building wood stairs.  That's the only thing I changed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:37 pm »

No.  It was that the wood on the top was unreachable, while the stone at the bottom was reachable.  If you had tried far-away wood, it wood've worked (:P), but the material finder automatically chooses the closest one.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!