Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting soil on a glaciar  (Read 1180 times)

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting soil on a glaciar
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:11:15 pm »

Embarked on a glacier, the clay, fire clay and sand layers that prospect tells me exist become ice (no surprises there).

While digging a up/down stairs for my initial stair tower one z-level into the ice, something squirrely happens.  The layer below the miner is mined out instead of being mined into up/down stairs.  I stop the up/down on one of the adjacent up/down stairs and convert it to just an up-stair.  Miner continue the stair and that particular tile is converted to a clay tile (can even extract clay using zones).

Err?  Did I bug my way into getting soil on a glacier?

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting soil on a glaciar
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »

It's a known and old problem. I don't remember exactly the way you're supposed to work this out but you can find the splution in the wiki!

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:22:03 am »

AFAIK removing constructions reverts the tile to the layer default
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:07 pm »

That is neither a construction nor is it being removed. Did you even read the content, or just the title?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:52:20 pm »

Build a construction, then remove it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »

The last layer always sketches.  You can get around it by channelling a tile down from the penultimate ice layer, then building U/D stairs at the bottom.  That will let you into the soil/rock layers.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:53:02 am »

Sounds like you're running into this - apparently, the solution is to dig an Up-stair instead of an Up/Down-stair at the bottom-most level of the ice.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:02:44 am »

Unless you're unfortunate enough to get an ice boulder at the bottom you can build an up/down staircase to fill the void. If you've got an ice boulder at the bottom you'll have to get down somewhere else, e.g. using Quietust's method (which I'm going to try), since the boulder blocks the building site and cannot be moved since you'd have to get down there to move it. Insidiously, you can designate the building of an up/down staircase from the boulder at the bottom, but that job will just lie dormant until you get down there so you can actually access the boulder.