Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Good Observer games/modes?  (Read 7805 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Good Observer games/modes?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:25 pm »

Truth be told, pretty much all of Koei's historical and WWII series of games can be put into AI screensaver mode.

Some are better to watch than others. Once you've played them a bit, they make more sense of what's probably going on.

GK 2 is my fave. But there's:

Pacific Theater of War (yay, watch WWII unfold at sea)
Operation Europe (yay, watch WWII unfold on land)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Dynasty Warriors tactical)
Nobunaga's Ambition (F the emperor! You're a goddamn Shogun! You rule!)

And probably heaps more. Most are better on the SNES, just for the nicer music and graphics but still "big" gameplay elements. I'm actually a Genesis boy, but meh. Try GK2 though. It's a lot easier to relate to, even if you're a fan of the other time periods (which I am).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:29:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:23 am »

Mars Simulation Project
Haven't seen it mentioned, and it definitively qualifies as a hands-off kind of game if you want it to be.
Unless you decide to micromanage it, there's not a whole lot for you to do as a player. The colonists will handle design and construction of their base(s), surveying and collection of resources, and the usual upkeep chores independently.
About the only thing that's not fully controlled by the AI is the creation of new supply missions from Earth. The default game will come with a handful in the pipe, so to speak, for the next several years but anything beyond that is up to the player to add.
In most situations the colony will be able to survive without anything else arriving after the last one. Some particularly awful luck could essentially doom the colony, but I've not seen it happen.
Additional supply missions will help expand the settlement(s) faster, as well as selecting locations that should be a new settlement.
After the initial three or so main bases are established, the focus shifts from merely finding the resources needed to survive, to making the resources to sustain a very thorough economy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 12:29:25 pm »

Mars Simulation Project
Haven't seen it mentioned, and it definitively qualifies as a hands-off kind of game if you want it to be.
Unless you decide to micromanage it, there's not a whole lot for you to do as a player. The colonists will handle design and construction of their base(s), surveying and collection of resources, and the usual upkeep chores independently.
About the only thing that's not fully controlled by the AI is the creation of new supply missions from Earth. The default game will come with a handful in the pipe, so to speak, for the next several years but anything beyond that is up to the player to add.
In most situations the colony will be able to survive without anything else arriving after the last one. Some particularly awful luck could essentially doom the colony, but I've not seen it happen.
Additional supply missions will help expand the settlement(s) faster, as well as selecting locations that should be a new settlement.
After the initial three or so main bases are established, the focus shifts from merely finding the resources needed to survive, to making the resources to sustain a very thorough economy.
Huh... there was another mars sim project out there somewhere...  There were no graphics if I remember correctly, mostly spreadsheets.  You start with +4 bases of varying sizes and there is a simple send people in a vehicle out to do mission thing.  Is it that same one but updated?

EDIT: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85502.0
Ah... there it is.  Guess its one and the same.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:49:36 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »

I wouldn't call 2D graphics no graphics, but yes.
I considered reviving that other thread, but 4 years seems a bit much, and there's been a good deal of improvements on the UI and AI since then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]