Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Good Observer games/modes?  (Read 7806 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Good Observer games/modes?
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:49:31 pm »

I'm curious which games exist that either are designed to simply be watched or ones that are interesting to set up with only AI Players and then watch.

I don't mean idle games that are just numbers going up, but ones that have AI that you can observe doing things in the game.

Any out there that people like watching?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Good Observer games/modes?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:51:46 pm »

Preferred genre? Most FPS's that have bots will let you load a game full of them and just observe. Killing Floor and Red Orchestra 2 (both by Tripwire) come to mind.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »

Most Paradox strategy titles with no fog of war probably count. I recall reading something about Civ being ok for that kind of stuff with a bit of tweaking as well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:51 pm »

Yeah, I'm generally thinking more strategy type games, although I'm cool with any suggestions people have for stuff that's fun to watch.

I've done Civ games in the past. Haven't tried any paradox games, although I could see CK2 being pretty fun in that mode.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »

Prison Architect: You can watch your prison go about its business once you set it up?  Though, it will screw up every few hours...

The cooks will end up trying to pick a single stack of trays up, but not be able to... which leads to no food getting cooked/distributed, huge backlog of trucks and ultimately the starvation death of everyone but the few prisoners who pass by the hospital often enough. 
Don't worry though, you can easily replace all the dead after one of those events, considering the backlog from the trucks and the fact that you can now bring in a block of 300 prisoners at one time(100 of each security level).  Well, as long as the prison is good enough to keep big riots from happening, despite starvation.

Actually, it might be caused by the lesser +move speed mod, which I recently removed.  I finally noticed that the gardeners and janitors kept getting stuck trying to clean stuff and the workers took forever to load up garbage onto the trucks.  All of it fixed on that mod's removal.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:41 pm »

I would say any RTS that has either a renowned AI or one that has had significant fan-made AIs.
I can't specifically name you one of either category, mostly because I haven't been big into RTS in a few years, but have run into both over the years.

Effective RTS AI have been around much longer than effective FPS bots, so I would expect better results.
In both cases though, past the lowest difficulty level or two most AI opponents tend to be made harder through more extensive cheating, so YMMV.
Generally I would rank most AI levels as: Incompetent player, Competent player, Cheating player+1, Cheating player+2...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:27:40 pm »

Conway's Game
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »

Oh right...  Distant Worlds, its a realtime sci-fi 4x...  You can set everything to automated and turn off notifications.  Sit back and watch.

...  I should actually do this next time I get into an idle/observer game funk.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »

You could watch ESPN
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 02:49:28 pm »

I think Submarine Titans has a scrimsh mode where you could select only AI players so put in the maximum number of AIs set them on hard and watch the fireworks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:24 pm »

Depending on how far back you're willing to go there's SimEarth. Just set up the initial conditions and watch as life forms from the primordial ooze, spreads to the planet's surface, and eventually gives rise to a civilization which proceeds to doom itself through a combination of global warming and nuclear war, leaving the planet in a lifeless state akin to Venus (except populated by robots).
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »

I remember setting up battles in Operation Flashpoint mission editor, then placed myself as a civilian and observed the AI armies duking it out, despite some AI quirks it was lots of fun to edit or change the various units soldiers and vehicles positions to see how the battles would be influenced.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 04:12:11 pm »

Madden NFL is surprisingly good for an observer game. Just like real NFL, but without all the stoppages or ads. I use the SNES/Genesis and PS1 versions on my phone when I'm bored.

Does anybody know how to get Brutal Sports Football or Brutal Sports Hockey on the Genesis into AI vs AI mode?
It's a game. Have fun.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 04:18:30 pm »

Find some custom AI scripts, and plug different playstyles into Age of Empires or something. You might learn some tricks in the process.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 05:01:55 pm »

I sometimes enjoy watching CPU's battle on fighting games like Super Smash Brothers. Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but sometimes it's interesting.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: [1] 2 3 4