Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mayweather vs Pacquaio  (Read 3164 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Mayweather vs Pacquaio
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 04:04:54 am »

But they're not being celebrated for being misogynists, they're being celebrated because they're boxers. And they're both good at boxing.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 04:06:23 am »

I, uh, know that. The idea is that maybe their actions outside boxing should matter re: how they're received by society :P
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 04:21:06 am »

But they're not being celebrated for being misogynists, they're being celebrated because they're boxers. And they're both good at boxing.

I think it's still relevant when you consider that for Mayweather there is factual evidence that his boxing career has helped him evade accountability for his actions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:38 am »

Of course they're taking a moral stance. When you frame it like that you can incite your base to righteous anger. And since righteous anger feels good, more people read your shit. Ergo readership goes up. Now, I'm not going to make the case that either of these guys qualifies as a good guy, but surely one can appreciate their talent while also acknowledging their failings.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:15 am »

To poke at the reports, I can only speak for Pacquiao (since I don't know Mayweather at all). He isn't a misogynist. Seriously. :v

There's a huge, yet subtle gap between 'reciting scripture exactly as printed and then taking the idea to assume its applicable value', and 'actually using scripture to form your beliefs on how you see people, holistically'. :P
Ya silly Cheesecake

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:14 am »

To poke at the reports, I can only speak for Pacquiao (since I don't know Mayweather at all). He isn't a misogynist. Seriously. :v

There's a huge, yet subtle gap between 'reciting scripture exactly as printed and then taking the idea to assume its applicable value', and 'actually using scripture to form your beliefs on how you see people, holistically'. :P
Ya silly Cheesecake

But I don't personally think he's a misogynist, I was just responding to that article.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

That article is terrible and is a prime example of why people don't take SJWs seriously.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 10:15:19 am »

If you're rich and famous, the law will protect you in the States, and people will listen to your opinions worldwide, even if those opinions are not good for them. End of story.

Look, fighters are fighters for a reason. Fighters are good at fighting. Boxers are good at punching people and not generally being hit when someone swings on them. Not too many of us (fighters, I am not a boxer,) are squeaky clean. I'm certainly not. The problem at large is that some fighters become celebrities, some celebrities are dicks, and then they can use their fame and money to protect themselves when they do something bad. Hell, some people get famous because they did something bad!

Our legal system needs, desperately, to be reformed. The culture behind making someone famous need to be reformed. Neither of these problems are unique to the States. We're pretty screwed up as a global people.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:30:26 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:59 am »

Spot on analysis, unlike the one in the article.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 [3]