Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PET_CLASS and PLANT_CLASS  (Read 977 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
PET_CLASS and PLANT_CLASS
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:23 am »

Basically, a creature/plant tag that works similar to GOOD or EVIL,  but more flexible.

Entities could then have a USE_PET_CLASS and USE_PLANT_CLASS token to control which entity has access to which creatures and crops.

USE_PET_CREATURE could work too.  Basically a way of controlling the pets of different races beyond fiddling with good, evil, and underground settings.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PET_CLASS and PLANT_CLASS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »

+1 for sure, encountered the need for this kind of tag more than once.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:59 pm »

Yeah, this suggestion's been coming up a few times, and for good reason I'd say. I think this could be the latest of them.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:26:03 pm »

+1 this would make modding stuff so much easier it hurts just thinking about it :D

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:24:30 pm »

I like this idea, but want it to mesh with the overall future direction of development.  The good/evil axis is going to generalize into Spheres, and that probably involves tagging every creature with Spheres.

Would it serve everyone's purposes if entities picked their pets and beasts by Sphere, or are there modders bound and determined to make sure that the Doom Puppy is available only to a specific custom race?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:04 am »

Spheres would help a lot, but this would be even better.  And really, it should be a trivial addition to make.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 11:36:26 am »

Spheres would help a lot, but this would be even better.  And really, it should be a trivial addition to make.
I think you're right, but I haven't seen the source code :)

It might be as simple as allowing pets, etc. by the already-existing CREATURE_CLASS mechanism.  You could tame nearly everything with [PET_PET_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON].
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:08:44 am »

That would be another option, although I was thinking that PET_CLASS would be exclusionary, that is, a creature with any PET_CLASS could not be tamed in worldgen except by a civ that had the relevant token, basically exactly like GOOD and EVIL tags work now.