Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger rooms a thing of the past next release  (Read 2447 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms a thing of the past next release
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 04:15:56 am »

Yes, that was apparently an overflow bug which will also be fixed in the next version.

Losing Fighter skill gain from danger room training doesn't seem that bad to me... and I've been blatantly abusing danger rooms in my last few forts. Fighter can be trained in many other ways and it's the fastest combat skill to train in any case. Dodging and Armor user are more useful and actually the logical skills to gain from this kind of training.

I'm still uncertain what Fighter skill actually does (and it appears the wiki doesn't know either). In adventure mode it seems to control the amount of critical hits available in the aimed hit menu so I assume it also works like that in fortress mode, under the hood.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:15:01 am »

You can always train fighting in a danger room if you design it as a barrack.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:58 am »

And can't you still make a Planepacked by simply forbidding the materials a dwarf has already put in the workshop, forcing him/her to go get more?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40:30 pm »

The shaft of enlightenment wasn't enabled by an overflow of bits and memory space. To abbreviate a very long explanation that sounded more like rambling... the ground is used to attack your dwarf, an upright spear is used instead of the floor but being a weapon requires skill use, skill is based on swing speed because inanimate objects don't have skills, the ground "swings" faster than any creature ever could, your experience is based on the "skill" of the opponent but in the case of upright spears is the speed of being "swung". Final result is an attack from a Godlike opponent that trains you irrationally well.
Why it never worked for falling 4, 6, 7 and 9+ z-levels was never fully understood and might have legitimately been an overflow. (Which means 8 must have overflowed within an acceptable range.) I've never seen Toady address the phenomenon specifically, so

No, what really kills the shaft of enlightenment is the line right above OP's example:
  • Capped various combat skill gains per action (Urist Da Vinci)
  • Stopped "fighting" skill from increasing from trap/projectile attacks
My theory is that it still makes sense to train armor user, dodge and shield user from traps, but since you're not gauging an opponent when you're dodging projectiles and traps, then improving "fighting" skill is inappropriate. On topic, being able to train Godlike levels of skill from falling once on a willow spear isn't appropriate either.

Danger rooms and the shaft are still in, you just have to settle for training Fighter the normal way and marching your dwarfs off a cliff more than once.
Pages: 1 [2]