Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger rooms a thing of the past next release  (Read 2448 times)

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms a thing of the past next release
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »

In the update from yesterday (2015-01-03)
we can read:
"Stopped "fighting" skill from increasing from trap/projectile attacks"

Does this mean that danger-rooms won't work?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms a thing of the past next release
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

I believe so. It's also a very odd, considering you should definitely gain skills from dodging and blocking spears. It just needed a lesser skill gain.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »

Well that's specifically the fighting skill it was even in quotation marks. So seemingly the dwarves could still gain armor user, dodger, shield user, whatever weapon skill they have, and maybe observer and discipline I don't know if danger rooms trained those before, but if they did then they still will.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »

Danger rooms are still in (probably).

The bug being addressed there is the Shaft of Enlightenment, where a fall onto upright spikes from certain heights(something like 2,3,5, or 8 z-levels) would instantly elevate you(or goblin captives oh no )  to legendary +87 fighter.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:29:46 pm »

why are so many people believing danger rooms are gone forever, it's just the fighting skill.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »

Because it's now only useful for making your dwarves survive, not for getting them to kill stuff.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »

Plus, in plenty of cases, defense outweighs offense. Danger rooms are more for improving defense anyhow. Test/combat dummies and captives, along with sparring seems more appropriate for training offensively.

Actually, since we have archery targets, why not have dummies added as well to improve combat effectiveness (slower than sparring, since they're non-reactive, as another person would be; dummies won't improve reaction skill, since we're on that note anyway) without a risk of harming another dwarf, as sparring tends to have occur?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:04:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 03:10:00 pm »

I've never used danger rooms, and with the sped-up active training of DF2014, it doesn't feel like a restriction any more. I'd say danger rooms are already largely obsolete.

Sparring doesn't cause harm if you don't go out of your way to make the sparring area dangerous (like putting it on top of a tower without railings or peppering the area with traps).

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

I've never used danger rooms, and with the sped-up active training of DF2014, it doesn't feel like a restriction any more. I'd say danger rooms are already largely obsolete.

Sparring doesn't cause harm if you don't go out of your way to make the sparring area dangerous (like putting it on top of a tower without railings or peppering the area with traps).
In very rare cases people might get thrown, and the impact with the ground from throwing generally breaks some bones. It is as I said, very rare though so it's not even a legitimate concern.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:59 pm »

Ever since 34.11 I have never once seen an injury come from sparring that wasn't a result of falling down a hole or something.

Personally I'm a little more concerned about the one a few notes down: "Stopped mood jobs from going outside burrows." It sounds like Planepacked might soon be just an echo of history.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:35 pm »

Planepacked... And danger rooms? Toady hates me...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:13:56 pm »

Ever since 34.11 I have never once seen an injury come from sparring that wasn't a result of falling down a hole or something.

Personally I'm a little more concerned about the one a few notes down: "Stopped mood jobs from going outside burrows." It sounds like Planepacked might soon be just an echo of history.

Nah, that just fixes the method of reproducing planepacked with burrows. The original planepacked significantly predates burrows, and the method that it used doesn't look to have been fixed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »

The method used to make Planepacked was removed a long time ago.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:29:52 pm »

Oh.

I has been wondering WHY ALL My DORFS ARE LEGENDARY+5 FIGHTERS.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 03:45:03 am »

Does this also mean no more Spear of Enlightenment? :P Does that even work anymore? I never used it.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: [1] 2