Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So here's a thought...  (Read 1684 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: So here's a thought...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 07:48:03 am »

Or maybe the concept of "soul" is a mortal creation born from suppressed existential dread and an unconscious desire to be special and unique, and the whole conceit of selling one's soul to a less than benevolent entity is a metaphor for accepting that one is finite and objectively insignificant; the only devil is yourself.

Naaah, can't be.
I prefer to think of the "Soul" as a  nonphysical counterpart to the brain. Not in a magical sense, but more like software as compared to hardware. And differentiated from the "Mind" by being more about identity whereas the mind is there moment To moment processes.

For that reason, like software, the soul cannot be stolen, but only shared~
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:50:46 am by Egan_BW »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 07:52:58 am »

So, if I accidentaly sold my soul to a dog, would I spend eternity being forever happy for no reason and chasing spherical objects? Doesnt sound too bad :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 09:18:42 am »

So, if I accidentaly sold my soul to a dog, would I spend eternity being forever happy for no reason and chasing spherical objects? Doesnt sound too bad :v
It would seem like an eternity to you, but it would actually be about twenty minutes. :V

Or maybe the concept of "soul" is a mortal creation born from suppressed existential dread and an unconscious desire to be special and unique, and the whole conceit of selling one's soul to a less than benevolent entity is a metaphor for accepting that one is finite and objectively insignificant; the only devil is yourself.

Naaah, can't be.
I prefer to think of the "Soul" as a  nonphysical counterpart to the brain. Not in a magical sense, but more like software as compared to hardware. And differentiated from the "Mind" by being more about identity whereas the mind is there moment To moment processes.

For that reason, like software, the soul cannot be stolen, but only shared~
That's the thing, though, the mind/body relationship is already functionally software/hardware. When we die, it's because our software can't run without hardware, and our hardware is a victim of planned obsolescence and 50-100 years of poor care and heavy wear. Granted, the 'individual' as such is largely defined by experience -- that is, by memory. Which in turn would invalidate the idea of the shared soul once we get to the point where we can clone individuals perfectly (or at least copy their minds and sleeve them into new bodies. Even if two people were identical in the instant that the first mind was copied, they would quickly begin to become differentiated after only a few minutes or hours of separate experience.

If we were to assume for the sake of the question that souls did exist as some tangible spiritual representation of self, I'd posit that copying an individual is functionally identical to creating a new intelligence, either in the sense of AI or in the old fashioned way. Even if the body is identical and the mind is identical at the point of divergence, bam! You get a new soul, you get a new soul, everybody gets a new soul!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 02:01:58 pm »

What if we are in fact the pets, and cats are our lords who like to keep us in an illusion making us think we are the lords.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »

What if we are in fact the pets, and cats are our lords who like to keep us in an illusion making us think we are the lords.
I thought every cat owner already knew this. We just keep up the pretense so we don't suffer "unfortunate accidents" walking down the stairs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]