Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minor dialog/combat suggestion - screaming  (Read 2895 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Minor dialog/combat suggestion - screaming
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »

Yes, definitely. It would at the very least be better than the current awkward soliloquies they give.

*in combat*
*arm gets chopped off*
"It was inevitable."
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 05:25:01 am »

I think the sometimes bizarre combat "dialogue" is meant to be an informative indicator for the player rather than, well, dialogue. It does it's job and allows the player to see the reactions of creatures regarding the current situation in a game that can't convey most body language or expressions.

I think screaming and such could replace the current very explicit pain indicator. After all you wouldn't know if someone was in pain if they didn't show signs. Perhaps also add flavor text messages or dialog to indicate nauseation, fatigue, enragement and other combat states rather than have them presented in a simple list?

I don't think the dialog is really too informative as it is. Toady already said many of the internal dialog trees that npcs use to talk end in "it was inevitable". Meaning most of the dialog as it is seems to be placeholders. Adding in screaming lets us flesh out some of the dialog trees already in the game. Even if it is used to simply fill the fear branch of the tree with something other than "terror is all around me... begone fear!" Doing so adds more personality to the game simply by not making every character a Shakespearean villein, and also allows the player to use their own minds to fill in the gaps.

Just think of all the ways you could imagine someone screaming about something, vs the dramatic dialog present. The dramatics certainly can stay, and probably deserve their own branch (possibly in some form of in game comedy or theatrics later on in development? ). My only other request to this thread would be to make crying more visual somehow. Even if just a blue *crying* tag was appended to the end of a sentence. As currently it involves a few quirky look commands to even check if you are crying, let alone other npcs.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:21 pm »

"Oh %deity name% did he just bite me!?"  Even if things can't be 100% context sensitive, maybe some minor things with people freaking out would be interesting.
Aw hell Hidden Fun Stuff naw! He didn't!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 06:50:47 am »

"Oh %deity name% did he just bite me!?"  Even if things can't be 100% context sensitive, maybe some minor things with people freaking out would be interesting.
Aw hell Hidden Fun Stuff naw! He didn't!

Dwarves have never actually used the term "hidden fun stuff". That is purely a players' joke. On the wiki, it is referred to as hell, and that is what dwarves would call it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:14 am »

I thought player controlled fortresses were hell.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 11:34:15 am »

On exploring abandoned fortresses and finding loads of gold furniture and magma forges but no means of food production and no bedrooms, I would say dwarf controlled forts were hellish as well.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »

Dwarves have never actually used the term "hidden fun stuff". That is purely a players' joke. On the wiki, it is referred to as hell, and that is what dwarves would call it.
It's referred to as the 'underworld' in Adventure mode. (I'm not sure if they still say the specific "soul rot in the underworld" line in DF2014.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »

Underworld, then, but still not "hidden fun stuff".

For old times' sake.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:17 pm »

"Hidden Fun Stuff" is explicitly the term Toady uses.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 03:01:13 pm »

But not the dwarves themselves, which is what mate888 seemed to imply.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 [2]