Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals Who Wish They Were Dwarves  (Read 784 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals Who Wish They Were Dwarves
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:45:42 am »

So I have 68 animals.  Most of them obey the large-ish pasture I've told them to stay in.  About 8 or so don't, and they are animals of all different kinds, all of which have members of the same species who are perfectly content to stay in the pasture.  These eight like to hang out in the meeting area. 

Can I do anything about this? 

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals Who Wish They Were Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:30:03 am »

Can I do anything about this?

I would check they are really assigned, check you have enough animal haulers and try another pasture and post the results? The pathing to the meeting area is usually what unassigned animals or recently released, not yet carried away animals do.

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:08:08 am »

Unpastured animals automatically gather at the meeting area. Mine is currently overrun with chicks.
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:11:13 am »

Wild guess: there might be a new bit of code implemented to battle overcrowded pastures - new creatures seemingly don't get added to a pasture when it's already overpopulated. I haven't looked at that properly, someone'd need to actually test it.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:06:42 pm »

Are they named (i.e. pets?)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »

I've currently got a tapir who thinks she's a dwarf despite being pastured.  I told her she isn't welcome in the dining hall until she can chug a whole barrel of blood amaranth beer in one go, but did she listen?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »

Edit: forget it, can't reproduce. Still, you might want to try making a new pasture; i had some "stuck" pasture assignments that could be solved by this, but i've no idea what might have caused them.

(Pets get pastured just fine. They're a bit more prone to step outside to greet their master, but if the owner never gets near, that's not an issue.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:44:23 pm by Larix »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:13 pm »

Some animals do seem to do that.  Try building a room for them with a door and set it to be 'tightly shut'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

I had the problem that suddenly my two war elephants and war gorilla pastured on an almost max size pasture started wandering (i.e. not crowed), despite being properly pastured, and no hauling jobs to get them back were generated. The first elephant had stayed put for a few years before this. One elephant starved to death just before I could butcher it, since I realized it was starving to death, the other one was butchered when it had strayed down below level 100, and the gorilla was successfully repastured with the dogs (in a no-animal door room), and has stayed put. However, I've just seen (earlier today) one of my war dogs wandering about without any repasturing job posted, but I haven't bothered to check his whereabouts.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:35 pm »

I'm in the process of repasturing.  It looks like it might work.