Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting the material of a custom body part?  (Read 682 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Setting the material of a custom body part?
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »

How would I change the material of a body part I put in myself in a creature's raws? What would I have to call it?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Setting the material of a custom body part?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:25:58 pm »

Suggestion: Put the raws in
Code: [Select]
Important Questions:
  • Does your bodypart use a CATEGORY found in body_default?
  • What all BODY_DETAIL_PLAN have you used?
  • Do you want the bodypart to be entirely a different material (ie metal arms vs metal plated arms)?
I have gone over these sorts of things previously.
Here is another post.

Look over those posts for anything you can use. If that doesn't get it done then answer the questions and post the raws. I will try to guide you through it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:06:41 am »

I know another way. It is glorious. *Technical terms ahead* You need to define the whole body but the hands/fingers before applying the an iron material tissue to them but this needs to be before the nail definitions. I demonstrate on a humanoid's raws.
Code: (standard creature) [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
Code: (Metal Hands McGee) [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_ARMLESS_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
---using vanilla tags which have no humanoid plan with just lack of hands so lack of arms instead
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]---Applying all these tissues to locations specified
[BODY:BASIC_3PARTARMS:5FINGERS]---Comes after so not affected by prior, but need to apply arm materials by hand, le sigh
[TISSUE:IRON]
[TISSUE_NAME:iron:NP]
[STRUCTURAL]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HAND:IRON]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:IRON]

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER:BONE]---Ordered to place bone first so it is layered skin>fat>muscle>bone
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER:BONE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER:MUSCLE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER:MUSCLE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER:FAT]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER:FAT]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER:SKIN]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER:SKIN]
And this does make a metal handed humanoid. Two notes though.
  • In Adv mode this creatures bodyparts won't be listed like other humanoids. The hands and arms will appear after facial features. To make it appear as normal you must do putnam's way or craziness
  • This doesn't make the nails iron, using the tissue material substitution shown by StagnantSoul earlier is the recommended way to do that (otherwise need to edit the scratch attack). If done you will be able to compound fracture the nail into the hand.

Why not just [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TYPE:GRASP]?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:48 am »

You don't have tissues that can grasp. Bodyparts do that.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »

I don't use [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:GRASP:TISSUE] because of preference mostly (and because many bodyparts share tokens, fewer share categories that aren't practically the same bodypart).

I don't just use it because in that example I had to work around the default BODY_DETAIL_PLANs in a way that caused the arms to lack tissue definition. BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS applies tissues to all the vanilla bodypart categories so any bodypart using one of those categories already has a designated tissue.

If your custom bodypart won't use a vanilla category (or a creature won't use a vanilla BODY_DETAIL_PLAN) then [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:CATEGORYSTRING:TISSUE] will make the whole bodypart of that tissue. Doing that again with a different (or the same :o) tissue will cause the second tissue to be the outermost tissue on the bodypart and the first one to be beneath the second (as shown at the bottom of example).
This is why the last question (full metal vs plated) comes into play. If you used BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE, and then slapped [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:GRASP:TISSUE] at the end your creature's GRASPers would go TISSUE>skin>fat>muscle>bone. This would apply similarly to a bodypart with a vanilla category.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:58:10 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

Interesting. I think I have what I need now, thanks!