Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easier way to have magma?  (Read 791 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Easier way to have magma?
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:44 am »

What's the easier technique I can use to bring magma from the caverns to the surface?

Do I have to build a 50 z-levels pump stack? Or am I missing an easier way?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easier way to have magma?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:17 am »

Well, it depend on your purpose. If you want magma to create elabourated things like magma cannons and similar, a pump stack is the best solution.
if you only need it to power your forges and smelters, a magma piston is probably a faster and less resource intensive way to have it.
Also a minecart sistem can bring magma up, but i've never tried it myself, so i don't know how effective it is.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:40:04 am »

Well, it depend on your purpose. If you want magma to create elabourated things like magma cannons and similar, a pump stack is the best solution.
if you only need it to power your forges and smelters, a magma piston is probably a faster and less resource intensive way to have it.

Well, both actually. A magma forge closer to the surface is a priority, but what kind of idiot would ignore the opportunity of a magma execution chamber?
I did this stuff when a volcano was available, but I don't like to be so limited when a magma ocean is just there, waiting.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:59:00 am »

Out of curiosity, why exactly does it have to be near the surface?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »

Yep, you're right! XD

To use lava to it's full potential i fear the pump stack is the only solution... it's the only method that gives you enought magma!

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

Out of curiosity, why exactly does it have to be near the surface?

I need it near the surface for magma traps at the entrance; other than that, i just want magma forges closer to the fortress.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

Unless I have a need for a trap that uses a tremendous amount of magma, I find minecarts to be the best solution. You can easily fill up a few tiles for magma forges and such, and then either dump magma directly from carts onto goblins or gradually create a reservoir suitable for a decent-sized magma chamber.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:57 pm »

If I'm looking at a pumpstack taller than say 30 or 40 levels, I usually opt for a dwarven-powered minecart magma collector.

Basically, it works very similar to the design posted here:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma#Design_2

The primary difference in my setup is the way I collect the magma.

The magma dumps into a 1x1x2 chamber with a pressure plate in the bottom set to 7/7 magma.  Once the chamber reaches 7/7, the switch opens an adjacent fire-safe door that drains the magma downward into an arbitrarily deep 3x1 chamber.

This chamber is hooked to a small inactive pump-stack with a disengaged gear assembly.  Near the top of the chamber is a another pressure plate with 7/7 magma.  This is set to engage the gear assembly.  When the pressure plate fires, the pump stack is activated for 149 turns and pumps into a chamber sized* to prevent evaporation when emptying the 3x1 stack.

Just set it up and it'll run until the chamber is full.  It's a good idea to create some kind of feedback that will stop the system if it reaches capacity.  A secondary 7/7 pressure plate above the pump-stack activation plate set to disable the rollers out of pile C works good for that.

When set up, it's fully automated and can be used to slowly collect an arbitrarily large pool of magma for use around the fortress.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:31:16 pm by Tacomagic »

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:54 pm »

Wait a second... am I understanding correct that safe handling of magma-filled minecarts calls for putting the minecarts inside wheelbarrows?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:43 pm »

Wait a second... am I understanding correct that safe handling of magma-filled minecarts calls for putting the minecarts inside wheelbarrows?

Welcome to dwarf physics 101.  ;)

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »

As far as I can tell it's just so that building a track from the magma to the surface isn't necessary. I successfully used the track method a couple times in .34, too bad I never thought of hauling the minecarts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

As far as I can tell it's just so that building a track from the magma to the surface isn't necessary.

Correct.

I've personally never had a dearth of spare hauling laborers who needed something to do, and it saves all those ramp designations you need to make a 30+ z-level impulse elevator (or worse yet a 30-z roller powered elevator).

These magma collectors tend to be a temporary method anyway.  They give me magma access up in my fort long before I have the components and infrastructure necessary to put together a magma stack that's 40 zs high.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 08:07:06 pm »

I've personally never had a dearth of spare hauling laborers who needed something to do, and it saves all those ramp designations you need to make a 30+ z-level impulse elevator (or worse yet a 30-z roller powered elevator).

These magma collectors tend to be a temporary method anyway.  They give me magma access up in my fort long before I have the components and infrastructure necessary to put together a magma stack that's 40 zs high.

Exactly. I used a roller to get the cart out of the magma fill area but the rest of it was guided. Never had a problem with !!Haulers!!, though as you say it was only briefly used.