Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ice question  (Read 3323 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ice question
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »

My first community fort was recent, in 40.10 and then 40.11~12, and it was partially on a glacier partially tundra.

I got into the aquifer and set up a pumpstack, then began the project codenamed GOBLIN SNOWCONE.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ended up getting several gobs, a few trolls, and the blind webshooting pig titan killing them caught at one time.

Pressurizing the water behind the bridge let me get a nice quick 10-square casting done once enemies were in place.

Lost some miners channeling down to get those tiles counted as above-ground though. Kept getting a spot where a miner would dig into a wall while right at the edge of the biomes and the only way to easily tell exactly where said edge is was when a miner turned a block of ice into water, which collapses, pushing them into a square that freezes and performs a very crude version of the same trick I used for GOBLIN SNOWCONE.

I'm sure you could get something set up with more bridges and a larger cistern to pressurize before casting, then just raise the bridges again and dig it out, repressurize, etc.

Didn't try to farm ice because I had too much of the stuff everydamnwhere as it was, but it should work pretty well.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »

So, I did some experimenting with various non-magma methods suggested here.  Some worked better than others.

Hatch-Drop:
It worked, okay, but I'm not really a fan.  It tended to behave erratically, and took a lot of vertical space to make operate kinda well.  And since it created a pillar of ice, mining out ice and then collapsing the pillar was necesarry to free up the room for more ice.

Another issue was that dropping a stack of ice cause a lot of collapse spam, and it tends to form little jagged pieces when doing more than a 1x1 tile.  It also created a lot of floor pieces that fell by themselves without building up a full block properly.

Maybe it's possible to make this work, but it's just very inconsistent and requires a lot more construction and planning when mining out the resulting ice.

Linear Bridge / Tube Methos:
Worked pretty much as expected.  Creates a line of ice that can be mined as long you want.  More bridges for more ice.  Even without pressure, it works pretty quick once you drop the bridge.  You can actually create 3-4 lines of ice before you actually need to refill the chamber behind it.

Upwelling:
This turned out to work really well.  By creating "donuts" of inside/aboveground tiles around a single inside/subteranean tile, you could force water up and create a donut of ice around a tile of liquid water.  Better yet, you could do it up multiple z-levels.  Once one floor was iced up, the water would move up to the next z-level and freeze that, until the system eventually reached pressure eqilibrium with the source.  Once all the ice was cast, the pressure source was cut off to remove the system pressure.  A quick flip of a pressure release valve in the bottom level would quickly drain down all the pressurized water.  By queuing up 2 lever pulls associated with a flood-gate, the pressure could be quickly relieved while still keeping the bottom fill chamber relatively full, making re-filling the ice quite fast after the first fill.

The downside here is that it can take quite a while for the system to cast the ice, especially when starting dry.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:33:23 pm by Tacomagic »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:40:03 pm »

:o  Ice generation and ice generators, provided you have the water.

---

I did kind of expect the erratic collapsing, but the floors are news to me :?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

:o  Ice generation and ice generators, provided you have the water.

---

I did kind of expect the erratic collapsing, but the floors are news to me :?

Ice forms a little different from Obsidian.  First the floor freezes, and then the block.  They only both happen at the same time when there's more than 4/7 water on the tile.

The only time I was able to cast a whole block was when I added an extra set of "accelerator" pumps to essentially pressurize water at the spot being frozen.  If I allowed it to flow naturally into the hole, I got only floor collapses or other weird shinanigans.

Neat idea, just way too erratic and requires a lot of pumps to make work.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:00:02 pm by Tacomagic »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:58 am »

ce under 4/7 only forms floors?! That is a fantastic piece of information! One could make a machinegun cave-in trap with that, or, even better (and much more practical) a resettable FB trap!

Code: (z0) [Select]
----X-
-+BH.X
----X-
Code: (z1) [Select]
---
~B-
---
Code: (key) [Select]
- wall
+ floor
. open space
X floodgate (always closed)
H floor hatch (always closed)
~ water source
B bridge, raising on z0 and retracting on z1. Both linked to the same lever
SßH

In this design only the open space should be "light above ground." When you flick the lever connected to both the bridges on, the bridge on z1 will retract and the one on z0 will raise. This will make one block of 7/7 water on the floor to the left of the bridge on z0. Flick the lever off, and the opposite will happen, alowing the 7/7 water to spread, but simultaneously cutting off the rest of the water. This should prduce 1-3 floor collapses. Meaning 3 bursts of dust capable of knocking a forgotten beast into a cave trap.

Code: [Select]
------
--CCC-
D++C+
--CCC-
------

D a door or any other furniture
C cage trap

Have the open space that drops the ice floor be above the floor adjacent to the door, since building destroyers destroy from 2 tiles away. When there's a FB trying to destroy the door, hit the lever and the dust should knock the FB into one of the many cage traps.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 08:57:37 am »

ce under 4/7 only forms floors?! That is a fantastic piece of information! One could make a machinegun cave-in trap with that, or, even better (and much more practical) a resettable FB trap!

Code: (z0) [Select]
----X-
-+BH.X
----X-
Code: (z1) [Select]
---
~B-
---
Code: (key) [Select]
- wall
+ floor
. open space
X floodgate (always closed)
H floor hatch (always closed)
~ water source
B bridge, raising on z0 and retracting on z1. Both linked to the same lever
SßH

In this design only the open space should be "light above ground." When you flick the lever connected to both the bridges on, the bridge on z1 will retract and the one on z0 will raise. This will make one block of 7/7 water on the floor to the left of the bridge on z0. Flick the lever off, and the opposite will happen, alowing the 7/7 water to spread, but simultaneously cutting off the rest of the water. This should prduce 1-3 floor collapses. Meaning 3 bursts of dust capable of knocking a forgotten beast into a cave trap.

Code: [Select]
------
--CCC-
D++C+
--CCC-
------

D a door or any other furniture
C cage trap

Have the open space that drops the ice floor be above the floor adjacent to the door, since building destroyers destroy from 2 tiles away. When there's a FB trying to destroy the door, hit the lever and the dust should knock the FB into one of the many cage traps.

You are a diabolical genious.  I never considered weaponizing ice formation!

I'm currently on a tundra, so there's a lot of potential to abuse ice.
Pages: 1 [2]