Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River is killing my fps: Need megaproject ideas  (Read 983 times)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River is killing my fps: Need megaproject ideas
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »

So, i've got that huge 25tiles wide river in the middle of my map, and I suspect the water flow to be killing my fps.
[TL;DR: early savage wasteland embark]
I'm on a 5x5 terrifying, rocky wasteland embark. Although the most terrifying thing I've seen so far is a giant Cockaticiel.
The rain is causing bleeding, maybe infections (i will need a doc to know, but after 3 months none of my kitten is dead, so probably not.)
I'm in the beginning of my first summer, but digging is going well and migrants should be able to make it inside.

The conditions of the embark means close to no wood, and the least I'm exposed to the outside the better.
[/TL;DR]

This being said, I'm looking for ways to stop this FPS problem.
The water flowing on the border of the map is leaving a 15 tiles long zone where it's below 7/7, and 15x25 tiles of flowing water calculations may be the most terrifying thing on this map.

Usually my solution to any river-related problem is to pump out the whole thing, but given the width and the lack of wood, that may not be possible.
I could do it in multiple times, but the lack of wood and width means it will take a while, I have a nightwing roaming and may got more.
Also evil rain, didn't killed anyone yet, but it seems to cause bleeding, wich I don't like much.

Maybe I could make the pumps out of glass? I have sand, lots of it. But it would require me to dig down to the magma sea for fuel, wich I don't like to do this early.

I was thinking cave-ins, but need to think more about how I could make this work without making it worse.

So... Anyone got an idea?

EDITED: I have two big spots of putrid sludge (the evil rain) contaminant sources that flow all the way down the river. Could that be a source of fps loss?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:36:58 pm by Swonnrr »

SelcouthBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River is killing my fps: Need megaproject ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »

Have you checked the wiki on damming? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dam

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »

Well my prefered solution would be to pumpstack lava up from the magma sea and just keep dumping magma into the river till I blocked it up.  Still if you dont want to go down that deep your either going to need to find a way to get pumps or your going to need to divert the river temporaraly so you can dam it up.

Honestly I'd recommend reading selcouthbadger's link to damming a river, theres a nice explanation of the divert method.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »

You can drain any river in this way:

Dig a row of up stairs 'across' the river 2 z-levels below the river, these should be connected to an infinite drain (i.e. map edge, or aquifer - cavern would be inadvisable in this case). The drain should be blockable with a hatch or door linked to a lever - this must be set up in advance.

Dig a row of up/down stairs 'across' the river on the z-level below the river, there should be an access shaft so dwarves can enter this level without going through the z-2 level.

Make sure the drain is *open*, then designate downstairs into the floor of the river above the up/down stairs. The dwarves will dig these from below using the 'dry' layer of up/down stairs. (You might need to start digging the downstairs from the far side from the access shaft, as the first tile to get dug out might create a 'wall of water' which blocks access to the other tiles, once a few more downstairs have been dug, spreading out the water, the 'wall of water' affect wont happen).

Once all the downstairs have been dug, the entire output of the river will be diverted down the drain. You can now build a wall (or raising bridge) across the river in the dry part, then close the drain allowing the river to refill.

Note that the drain makes a superb 'high pressure line' for filling drowning traps and such, as it captures the entire flow of the river.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »

with evil rain comes thralling clouds
be prepared to get murderboned by zombie something or others

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:59:36 pm »

with evil rain comes thralling clouds
be prepared to get murderboned by zombie something or others

Not necessarily.

I approve of Panando's method outlined above. It is not 100% absolutely safe for your miners, but if you put doors on the access shaft then it minimizes the risk of flooding. I could diagram the method for you if you want.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:11:16 am »

Just one last tip: put doors and floodgates EVERYWHERE. Like literally at least one per tunnel in your fort that is anywhere near the water project. Your first couple of tries will probably result in some flooding. (The waterfall in my dining room flooded 3 quarters of my fort)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:45 am »

Panando's solution is probably better than mine, but I'll mention it because I'm not actually sure it works in 40.x and the uncharitable might call it an open bug.  You dig a channel that crosses the entire river one z-level beneath it, bridge the entire channeled area over and link the bridge - in your case bridges actually - to a trigger, DO NOT get rid of the natural ramps under the bridge.  You wall off or door the area above the bridge, but leave access to the area below it.  Now designate a row of up-ramps next to the bridge (in other words, one level above the .  The dorfs would go under the bridge and dig the up-ramps from the dry protected space under the bridge, so that the water now came down the ramps they dug and rested on top of the bridge --- but could not reach the dorfs or the dry space!