Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs randomly taking lethal falling damage?  (Read 1837 times)

samward999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogs randomly taking lethal falling damage?
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »

I am trying to induce a dogsplosion, partly for the minor proection offered by 6 or 7 war dogs following each civilian, partly for meat,
And partly for seeing how well my computer can hold up to thousands of dogs (quite well :o).

But the problem I am having is rather insane.

Imagine a puppy just standing there, wagging its tail and looking around, on a flat floor.
Then it instantly gets crushed into a paste and its head flies off in an arc from the impact...
That is just it, 12 puppies and 1 regular dog so far have suffered lethal falling damage (as evidenced by the combat log) while standing around, usually not on stairs, and with no enemies around. the log just says "the dog kid's head took the full force of the blow, exploding in a pile of gore and sailing off in an arc"

I have made cats give birth on the edge of a cliff, just to feed the kittens directly into butcher shops waiting at the bottom, and rooms full of spikes that immidiately impale any adult dogs in 10-20 places,
But this is F'd up!.

Please help!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs randomly taking lethal falling damage?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »

I think this happens from dodging into a wall. I'm a little bit paranoid about having military dwarves spar too close to walls, because injuries seem to happen if they aren't in a nice wide open area.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:21 am »

Aye, theres a tendancy for things to dodge/slam into walls.  Apparently if something jumps at a creature which then fails a dodge roll it can also be knocked back as if it had been charged.  Having lots of animals in a small space promoted conflict and combat logs anyway, so shooting for dogsplosion is gonna involve a degree of such stuff.

Your damage log is definately impact damages, but it could easily be horizontal impacts.  An adult dog jumps at a puppy, puppy fails dodge, slammed into a wall and weighs so little it just splats.  Or 2 dogs snap at each other in close confines, one dodges into puppy's tile, might force him to try and move.  Or something took a swing at the puppy itself and it dodged itself to death.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:59:52 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:50:35 am »

Creatures should not be able to dodge horizontally with such velocity that they sever their own heads.  Now, if they dodge off a cliff and fall 10 Z-levels onto diorite, that's different.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

Creatures should not be able to dodge horizontally with such velocity that they sever their own heads.  Now, if they dodge off a cliff and fall 10 Z-levels onto diorite, that's different.
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:43:56 pm »

Agreed.  However, this is Dwarf Fortress. Things like 'should' and 'should not' don't matter.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.