Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melee: Battlegrounds - spiritual successor to M&B: Warband mod "cRPG"  (Read 9007 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melee: Battlegrounds - spiritual successor to M&B: Warband mod "cRPG"
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:26 pm »

I am all about this!  The CRPG mod was dope -- with their own engine and the dedication they seem to be putting into this, it should be very pleasing.  I really hope this takes off!

Pestdoktor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 03:15:15 pm »

They just added an update on combat over at their kickstarter...

This hasn't nearly recieved the love it deserves, people.

Spread the word, let's make this happen!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »

Problem is, this is the only real site I visit anymore, sooooo while I'd like to I've not many options.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 08:57:29 pm »

My gods, it's beautiful
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:05 am »

Slightly better gif

Pestdoktor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:05 pm »

One day and 90k to go...

Let's do this!

https://imgur.com/gallery/hvsHv/

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 01:35:13 pm »

Ouch, I was not expecting it to not get the funding it needed (unless a miracle happens within the next 23 hours). I want M&B2 and this game.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 09:37:19 am »

Excited about this too. I'm a generation 17 CRPGer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
with probably more than a thousand hours in the mod...
It's pretty fun
but the concerns over realism are extremely valid.

Something I've not really seen mentioned is the issue where, as one of the most easily recognizable examples,
you are holding a stab-thrust ready to release and someone either runs directly into where you are aiming your thrust, or you run into them;
-if you don't actually release the thrust there is zero damage.
-if you do release the thrust and the thrust only moves a very small distance before it hits something, there's a really high chance that zero damage will result.

Pretty unrealistic from the perspective of someone charging into the point of your weapon and taking no damage.  >:(
I guess it's all a big metaphor anyways though since the entire combat system had to be simplified into a few directional movements instead of the infinite variety that realism would entail?
But seriously... movement of the target versus the weapon should effect damage impact more imho.

I don't even remember if it is much different in Native, but I feel like CRPG needs to adjust a setting or something...
there's a reason the long pointy stick is the oldest and most commonly used weapon in human history.
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 10:44:03 am »

Excited about this too. I'm a generation 17 CRPGer
with probably more than a thousand hours in the mod...
It's pretty fun
but the concerns over realism are extremely valid.

Something I've not really seen mentioned is the issue where, as one of the most easily recognizable examples,
you are holding a stab-thrust ready to release and someone either runs directly into where you are aiming your thrust, or you run into them;
-if you don't actually release the thrust there is zero damage.
-if you do release the thrust and the thrust only moves a very small distance before it hits something, there's a really high chance that zero damage will result.

Pretty unrealistic from the perspective of someone charging into the point of your weapon and taking no damage.  >:(
I guess it's all a big metaphor anyways though since the entire combat system had to be simplified into a few directional movements instead of the infinite variety that realism would entail?
But seriously... movement of the target versus the weapon should effect damage impact more imho.

I don't even remember if it is much different in Native, but I feel like CRPG needs to adjust a setting or something...
there's a reason the long pointy stick is the oldest and most commonly used weapon in human history.

Gen 17 wow. I mean, it's super fun at the level because you're crazy good, but as a level 43 or something it was hard to get in to it as everyone was destroying you. The pike still made you sultan of swish however.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 08:09:07 pm »

Apparently I'm gen 17 as well, didn't even know that. I still have my masterwork pike (now called the longspear) from when pocket pikes were a thing.

A lot of the combat is abstracted, yes, but pikes still have some dirty tricks last I recall. I remember at one time the overhead swing would not hit allies (unless they were standing behind you) so you could stand behind your line of friends and overhead swing your enemies to polestun them while your ally dealt the fatal blow.

I always like polearms in general, hopefully some kind of formation fighting will be useful in this game, because while you could do it in cRPG they didn't really have much in the way of facilitating it...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 08:57:32 pm »

Apparently I'm gen 17 as well, didn't even know that. I still have my masterwork pike (now called the longspear) from when pocket pikes were a thing.

A lot of the combat is abstracted, yes, but pikes still have some dirty tricks last I recall. I remember at one time the overhead swing would not hit allies (unless they were standing behind you) so you could stand behind your line of friends and overhead swing your enemies to polestun them while your ally dealt the fatal blow.

I always like polearms in general, hopefully some kind of formation fighting will be useful in this game, because while you could do it in cRPG they didn't really have much in the way of facilitating it...

Back when I was with the Crusaders of Acre, our clan battles frequently opened with both sides advancing in shield wall formation. In fact, as I remember it the common army lay out of coalitions of smaller clans against the big ones was usually a large shield wall in the middle, flanked by pikemen, with an elite core of heavily armored 2-handers in loose formation bringing up the rear. We had precious little cavalry.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 04:17:38 am »

Humm, it looks a little too arcede-ish to me; mainly too fast combat etc. I'd really prefer a girttier grip on combat, but hey, just because I don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't. I'd still like to see 30 years war multiplayer madness, what with the pikes, zweihanders and muskets and all. WFaS came close, but it was lacking in many other ways like not destructible environment.
Pages: 1 [2]