Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Melee: Battlegrounds - spiritual successor to M&B: Warband mod "cRPG"  (Read 9009 times)

Vibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Melee: Battlegrounds
A spiritual successor to Mount & Blade: Warband mod cRPG

Medieval combat. Earn Equipment. Upgrade skills. Build Castles. Use Siege Engines. Experience Massive Battles. Fight, Die, Learn!
Meet hundreds of other players on epic medieval battlegrounds. Control your warrior in Third or First Person View, battling it out in a reaction-based combat system. Various game modes for different playstyles ensure that there's something for you: duel, round-based teambattles, castle assault, competitions and a huge sandbox where both teams build castles on the fly and conquer those to seize territory control.

Medieval combat
The combat is intense, direct and personal. Every player brings their own style to the battlefield. Try to anticipate your foes’ actions – outmaneuver, outplay or outsmart them! The 360° attack/block system makes combat easy to learn, but impossible to master - there will always be something new to learn. 

Customize your character
There are no perfect weapons - you will have to figure out which one fits your playstyle the most. There are no predefined classes - pick whichever combination keeps you above ground and your foes six feet under.

Upgrade your skills
Earn experience on the Battlegrounds. Unlock skills that allow you to enhance your fighting style and give you an advantage in combat. Use a clever combination of skills to strengthen your playstyle.

Build Castles
Construct your own fortifications and castles with your team. Make sure you allocate your resources wisely, because building is only half of the fun...

Use Siege Engines
The other half is wrecking them again. Take full control over Catapults, Trebuchets, Battering Rams, Siege Shields, Siege Towers, Ladders, Ballistas, Tunneling and a few crazy things you’ve probably never seen before. They sure were creative back then to get from point A to point B, especially with point B being walled in.

Experience Massive Battles
The game can feature battles with over 200 players fighting against each other at the same time. Are you a lone wolf, or will you use the advantage of working as a team?

Fight, Die, Learn
You will die – a lot. It’s part of the experience, so get used to it. A few of you may be gifted, but most will have to practice to become a renowned Battleground Warrior.

Read more about it on Kickstarter:
Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601737664/melee-battlegrounds-spiritual-successor-to-the-crp
Kickstarter video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFaOat2_HU

Screenshots and gifs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:14:08 am by Vibe »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melee: Battlegrounds - spiritual successor to M&B: Warband mod "cRPG"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:22 am »

Looks pretty interesting, I will probably stick with Bannerlord because it is more of an RPG sandbox and I like the out of combat and strategic aspects as well but this does look good although very much like M&B as well. Seems to be more competition for M&B multiplayer rather then singleplayer.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:39:53 am »

Looks interesting. PTW.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »

I was wondering when someone was going to post about this. I thought it was still under NDA? Oh well, not like anybody but me adhered to it anyways. I "invested" in it back when I played cRPG and I hope it becomes a great game, and different enough from M&B2.

Early videos have seemed promising, but I haven't been following development too much. Their forums are filled with jerks so I only visit occasionally, and rarely have I ever posted. Soo...

EDIT: Of course, it's no longer under NDA as it seems their kickstarter is up. They've been trying to keep it under wraps until they've had enough content to make a video for the kickstarter. Best of luck to them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »

So, are they building this from scratch or is it a Warband engine game like Caribbean! ?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »

It's built from scratch, but it is heavily inspired by M&B:Warband considering they originated from a mod team for M&B:W. They are basically trying to make a multiplayer focused M&B game with more emphasis on combat. There's also character progression, but I don't know if it'll be like the cRPG mod or if they have something else in mind.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

Honestly I want to know how they are going to handle thrusting weapons, because that seems like a much bigger challenge. I also want to know how they're going to handle blocking with shiels, and one-handed weapons. In cRPG if you weren't using a two handed weapon you were considered a scrub, and in M&B in general the left-to-right slash is the only thing you would ever use because it hits quickly, aims for the head, and can hit fairly well at the beginning of the swing, right to the head.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:49 pm »

Honestly I want to know how they are going to handle thrusting weapons, because that seems like a much bigger challenge. I also want to know how they're going to handle blocking with shiels, and one-handed weapons. In cRPG if you weren't using a two handed weapon you were considered a scrub, and in M&B in general the left-to-right slash is the only thing you would ever use because it hits quickly, aims for the head, and can hit fairly well at the beginning of the swing, right to the head.

Uhhhhhhh, shield walls were a huge part of set-piece battles. Also, what is wrong with thrusting weapons? Pikes are an integral part of any team.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:41:23 pm »

The problem is in M&B if you have any weapon that can block, you can hold down-block and block 20 guys who are spear+shield stabbing at you. It's not really... what would happen...

EDIT: If you used a shield in cRPG you were considered 'skilless' and 'can't manual block' etc.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »

The problem is in M&B if you have any weapon that can block, you can hold down-block and block 20 guys who are spear+shield stabbing at you. It's not really... what would happen...

EDIT: If you used a shield in cRPG you were considered 'skilless' and 'can't manual block' etc.

Ive spent a lot of time on cRPG, and any clan will tell you otherwise there. As far as the blocking 20 people at once I agree, but on the other hand in reality you would never have 20 spearmen stabbing the same guy.

EDIT: Regardless, you are generally correct, however the mechanics are fine I think. Hopefully, the attitude will differ.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »

Really depends on your settings...auto block is lame like that...turn it to directional blocking and have fun dying

Krewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 02:34:08 am »

Well this isn't going to be M&B:W, Donkeycrew is probably aware of the limits of the MB:W engine and is doing something better themselves. Really stoked about the 360 combat and physic collissions of weapons, will add several dimensions to the fighting.

Also, the video fotage is still from pre-alpha, the animations will get polished a lot to realease.

Just waiting for a decent gaming rig so I can try the alpha out, since I also invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 08:26:17 am »

Well this isn't going to be M&B:W, Donkeycrew is probably aware of the limits of the MB:W engine and is doing something better themselves. Really stoked about the 360 combat and physic collissions of weapons, will add several dimensions to the fighting.

Also, the video fotage is still from pre-alpha, the animations will get polished a lot to realease.

Just waiting for a decent gaming rig so I can try the alpha out, since I also invested.
I bet that at some point the best offensive tactic is going to be "flail wildly in all directions at random"
._.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:38 am »

I know it's not going to be M&B:W, but there are going to be direct comparisons to it (and probably M&B2 when the time comes) considering the history of the dev team and the similarities between the games and the mod. At the very least the "360" system will translate roughly into 8 directions of swings, obviously with slightly more control, which is much more interesting than the 4 direction system. I think I may have heard somewhere that, for example, if you block an attack at an angle the weapon will be more likely to glance off instead of bouncing, but I could have easily just imagined that...
I bet that at some point the best offensive tactic is going to be "flail wildly in all directions at random"
In the current version of cRPG (provided it hasn't changed drastically in the year or so I haven't played it) trying to do that will basically get you killed. If an attack of yours is blocked the enemy (usually) has enough time to hit you before your next attack, and if you get hit you (usually) only have enough time to block an attack rather than trying to spam more attacks. It could change for M:BG but somehow I feel they wouldn't change that flow of combat too drastically unless they have some game-changing plans for the combat that we just don't know about yet.

EDIT: BY the way, I invested last year (I think it was?) and apparently that automatically grants you the 65 dollar tier on the KS, but how would they know who I am if I were to throw in the 5 dollars more that would get you the next tier up?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:32:41 am by OzyTheSage »
Pages: [1] 2