Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Arrows/Bolts?  (Read 1365 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Stone Arrows/Bolts?
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »

Anyone know where I could go in the raws to make it possible to create stone bolts at a craftsdwarves workshop?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Arrows/Bolts?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:48:21 am »

You can check Genesis mod for rocktip bolts/arrows.

I've made "rocktip" a type of wood with a property of stone. It's a necessary workaround because there's no stockpile option for stone ammo.
Then you simply create a reaction to craft such arrows.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:08 am »

OK, thanks.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10:12 pm »

My theory is this should work with either STONE or ROCK inputs :). I realize you have already been answered but I wanted to chime in /help/feel helpful/etc.  :-X.

Still needs a building to be at or tags for adventure style play.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CARVE_STONE_ARROWS]
[NAME:carve bone arrows]
[REAGENT:STONE:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[IS_STONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:STONE:NONE]
[FORCE_EDGE]
[SKILL:STONECRAFT]

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »

It's, all right, the more methods the better!

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:53:27 pm »

The link to Deons' mod did not work on my computer, strangely. So I tried YAHGs' method. For some reason, the dwarves were unable to tell the difference between a sewer brew barrel and diorite... I can't see what the problem is.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:17:27 am »

I think the IS_STONE tag is in the wrong place?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:52:09 am »

I think the IS_STONE tag is in the wrong place?

I haven't tested that so who knows? I figured it was a tag in the material token for stones so I could use it as a flag for both rocks and boulders. Of course you could just use "STONE:NONE:NONE:NONE" and drop it assuming its fortress mode. It does make me curious about a STONE->ROCK->sling ammo reaction  8). If only we could make our dwarves gather rocks like in adventure mode INFINITE AMMAH!!! :o

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:57:12 am »

Yeah, IS_STONE isn't a valid reaction modifier at all. That's only for material definitions.

There's no straight-up "USE_SOME_KINDA_ROCK" modifier, but if you're not afraid of some copypaste action, you could add a [REACTION_CLASS:ARROW_TIPS] to any kind of stone you'd deem worthy of being used and have the reagent look only for that.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:23 am »

Yeah, IS_STONE isn't a valid reaction modifier at all. That's only for material definitions.

There's no straight-up "USE_SOME_KINDA_ROCK" modifier, but if you're not afraid of some copypaste action, you could add a [REACTION_CLASS:ARROW_TIPS] to any kind of stone you'd deem worthy of being used and have the reagent look only for that.

Good plan, although you could just put that in the material template for stone, like cheese is inside of milk. :)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:36:52 am »

Ah, but that encompasses crap like clay, porcelain and plaster too. An awful lot of things have IS_STONE.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 08:41:21 am »

Ugg, bummer we can't/I don't know how to check material properties like yield etc. when running reactions  :(

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:52:33 am »

Shoutout to scamtank and YAHG for answering my questions not only on this thread, but the rest of mine! I'm honestly better at creature making.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:00 pm »

Ah, but that encompasses crap like clay, porcelain and plaster too. An awful lot of things have IS_STONE.
I have no idea if strength/density for unbaked clay in the raws are realistic, but clay arrows would be hilarious.

And porcelain arrows would be pretty good, actually. Sharp, certainly. Not effective against hardened armors, but they could cut up flesh but good.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
8)