Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: An attempt at a decent turn based combat system.  (Read 5635 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt at a decent turn based combat system.
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 07:53:30 am »

Excellent news!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:49 pm »

Excellent. [/Burns]

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2014, 06:07:08 pm »

Been a little bit! Things have happened.

One: A pal has offered to make music instead of art, so we've switched duties on that. Given I've made about three or four announcements on "X IS DOING THIS" I figured I'd wait until I had something bigger to announce.

Two: As a result, creature dev will be done as such: Make a graphic (RPG maker vx ace uses a dragon warrior style battle screen, the player characters are not seen, unless you install a script to change that, which is how I presume OFF and Middens did it, either that or RPG maker 2000 just used a different battle format. Who knows!), make a battle script for them.

Three: The big thing! There is a single elemental damage altering script that I've found. And it doesn't appear to be working. That or I'm an idiot and am using it incorrectly somehow, that's always a possibility, but it's not exactly complex and a pal actually found errors in the script so I'm not exactly optimistic. I found a second script, but it appears to be a copy of the first script, except it needs a module installed to run. How about that.

However, I've litterally, just as I was typing up this post realized that I can ACTUALLY DO WHAT I WANT WITHIN THE ENGINE WITHOUT A SCRIPT, BECAUSE I'M A BIG DUMB

It's a little messier to design around. Basically with THIS format, I would give it a weakness to that element, you can do that natively, and then raise the attack stat that they use with buffs. What this means is that the damage boost is not elementally oriented! So at most I can use two different elements per enemy, and if I do use a second element I can't use a normal attack either, because to boost the damage of the second element I need to boost phys attack, and blabla. There may be a way around this by altering damage formulas, but then those stats also effect other attributes, and it'd get even messier. I'll have to look into how turn order and dodge rate and such are decided, and if I can alter those too. I may end up playing stat shuffle! Time will tell!

So yeah! Still working! Just little hang ups here and there, that have been happily resolved without the need for scripting. I'll be posting music my pal makes (with his blessing, anyway), and I do actually have one, very basic enemy draw up, but it doesn't actually look very good, as I am no artist, so I'm waiting until I have his battle script ready to show off too. Onward!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »

Progress! Sounds good so far.
The Derail Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 04:34:01 pm »

I don't have anything to post yet! I decided to get the entire first "set" of enemies out before I show anything off, and while the art and general theme of these enemies is done I'm not quite happy with where they are. Soon!

Another generic I'm not dead update.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »

Okay, actual info!

Basic elementals have been done, I'll be leaving the art out despite my previous mentions because really you're not missing anything at all.

Basic elementals will be showing up around the first time a particular "biome" shows up. So a fire elemental will show up in the little fire cave segment on the first floor, and as you see more of those biomes more enemies will show up. As a result elementals are very basic, introducing basic "themes" for that element, and mostly buff themselves with something then attack. Some get a little fancier, but nothing extraordinarily complex.

For instance, the fire elemental is set to use fire curtain at the beginning of the fight, (curtains have extraordinarily high cast speed so they will always get the first turn, but yes, this does mean that the player always gets the first "real" turn, and might get a double first turn depending on the enemy, I don't really have any qualms toward this, but it is something to note), buff his attack power, then use fire attacks for the rest of the fight.

Fire type enemies will tend to buff their attack power, one way or the other, then try to blitz you down. They don't have a lot of defense, they have a lot of attack. Fire attacks from a fire elemental will also rarely inflict a burn, which does damage over time and lowers defense.

So this should ideally teach the player that fire enemies are offensively oriented, have low defense scores, and if a fire enemy doesn't appear to be following that trend, something funny is going on.

This is the theme for elementals, they buff, they inflict x status effect sometimes, they are very simple minded, and generally if an elemental is getting fancy it's because following enemies will be building upon that. That's not to say that a fire enemy will never throw you for a loop and try to fool you, but it'll be fairly uncommon, and generally you want to spend more time trying not to get busted up by it. Elemental armor and weapons will help out with this.

With that said.

Element themes!

Fire: Offensively minded, low defense, tend to blitz you down
Ice: Focused on incapacitating you one way or the other, attacks will often have a stun effect attached, often debuff defense with frostbite, weak to phys, strong to magic
Wind: Similarly focused on boosting speed and stunning (more reliably then ice elementals), then blitzing an enemy. Average magic def, sub par phys def.
Earth: High phys def, hits relatively harder physically then other elements, but doesn't tend to debuff you often, basically a "straight fight".
Dark: high magic def, average phys def, only elemental weakness is holy, uses drain attacks. Very tanky overall, chips you down.
Phys (what could represent this in game oh my): Lots of team buffs, tanky, resistant to phys, excellent defenses overall, rarely attacks.

These all only apply to enemies, although magical attacks from the player may incorporate certain elements, dark attacks will drain, for instance, flame attacks will impart burns on occasion, etc, the point to take away is that a fire attack will not nessacerily hit any harder then an ice attack.

Similarly these are all still sort've rough drafts, I'm kind've looking at wind inparticular as being a little wonky, I may have to cook up a new status effect for them, as I can't do "double turns" or anything for them I don't think, so speed is, as usual, fairly underpowered.

There ya have it! If anyone's got anything they want to say, let me know!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 04:35:41 am »

More monsters are being made! Time continues to march. I am alive.

(another I'm not dead post don't mind me)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

...Now I'm really worried that he's dead.

Progress?
The Derail Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:16 pm »

I GOT SOME SPLAININ TO DO

Luckily it's not super dire, it's just, simply enough, me moving on to another project. While it still has the same over arching goal, I didn't feel changing the goalposts suddenly was a great thing to do, so I bailed. The old project is still on the HD, but I've bailed on it for now, as the curtain idea really didn't work out, and ultimately I felt I was over complicating things. Of course maybe I'm just still bad at this. Who knows!

So yes. Projects are continuing, just not this one specifically. If people want to watch me stumble through potentially multiple projects until I get to one I manage to finish I'd be happy to keep them posted, I just felt people didn't really want to do that.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »

You could make a thread for keeping track of all your projects like an archive.
Multiple people have arcive threads these days. (Myself included)
The Derail Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 01:47:59 am »

Iiii.... will consider this. If I do I'll probably lock this one, just as a headsup.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]