Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds learning animalmen languages.  (Read 721 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Kobolds learning animalmen languages.
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »

Well, I saw that kobolds have the [UTTERANCES] tag, and as such, they can't communicate with anyone but themselves (unless you are a kobold adventurer, in wich case your bethren will try to kill you).
So I tougth, as kobolds can learn stuff (at least that is what the tags say) and animalmen also can learn, it may be possible to kobolds to learn other primitive languages such as cave civ's or overground animalmen's (like jaguarmen) languages, or vice-versa, animalmen learning kobold language. That may make the kobolds have some diplomacy with this also very uncivilliced races. Those cave races who had an agreement with kobolds will most likely hate your dwarves or adventurer, unless it is a kobold.
Also, maybe the understanding of each others language may rarely, VERY rarely make a cave tribe that's at peace with a major civ serve as an interpreter or translator, maybe making peace with that civ and the kobold cave. That, again would be very rare, as is a known fact that everyone hates kobolds, especially dwarves, that will have the lower chance of any kind of treaty.
Elves would be the most likely (but still VERY unlikely) to have peace, and even an alliance with kobolds, as they can communicate with the surface animal peoples and maybe even kobolds who speak the animal language.
When the peace between the animalmen civ that worked as intermediary between the 'bolds and the major civ ends, the kobolds will automatically be hostile to that major civ again. The same will happen if kobolds and the cave civ break peace.

Also, I think adventure mode kobolds should have the chance to talk to other kobolds and friendly animalmen civs, to make it more intresting.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about