Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fear of Christmas  (Read 2960 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:47 am »

I guess I'm a minority when it comes to hating the generic "Happy Holidays" thing then. I'm perfectly fine with people wishing me a Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Hanukkah, but when I hear "Happy Holidays" I cringe. I specifically avoid products that are labeled "Holiday" so in that regard they're losing sales to people like me lol. Even the stuff that really is Christmas focused (like Nativity sets!) are more and more being labeled Holiday, which makes absolutely no sense. I saw one that said Happy Holidays on it. I mean, why are you buying a Nativity set if you don't want to celebrate Christmas? That's like making a regulation football and just marketing it as "Ball" with no mention of the game it's for.

Well, I agree with you 100% on this.
Way too many people are always tripping over themselves (and stumbling to the side and knocking other people down the stairs) in their desperation to be politically correct and getting offended over the slightest thing, and it makes me want to stab them in the face. Merry Christmas.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:27 am »

You're Basque?? :P

Fixed that for you.
Oh, good heavens, that theory just felt odd even before I hit the part where "Old Europe was invaded and destroyed by horse-riding pastoral nomads from the Pontic-Caspian steppe (the "Kurgan culture") who brought with them violence, patriarchy, and Indo-European languages."  Pre-Indo-European precursors, definitely; Kurgan hypothesis, almost certainly; egalitarian in the fashion of other early pre-stratification agricultural and hunter-gatherer societies, rather probable (especially if you compare it to what was soon to come); but characterizing PIEs as a single, monolithic, peaceful culture in the Neolithic?  Transportation in that era was not the sort that permitted monolithic cultures to emerge, you wouldn't really build or need hill forts or weapons in a peaceful society, and the presence of goddess symbols does not automatically extend to a characterization of the society as a matriarchy any more than the existence of Hera and Artemis meant that Ancient Sparta was a matriarchy. 

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 11:21:11 pm »

I also dislike any holiday greeting that includes the phrase "winter solstice". No astrology for me, please.

You mean astronomy? :P

If you ascribe significance to it it's astrology.

I think I'm going to start celebrating the Martian Winter Solstice. It makes about as much sense.

The next one is coming up on Jamuary 11th, and that's the last one until November 2016 (Inless you count the southern hemisphere of mars; in which case the next one os jamuary 3, 2016)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »

Do Mercury instead. That way you get more.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:18 pm »

I suppose so. But my way gives me an excuse to watch Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 [3]