Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fear of Christmas  (Read 2963 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »

I hate Christmas.  We should replace it with American Thanksgiving(or if you are Amercian, replace it with Canadian thanksgiving).  Its got all the same great food and family times, but without the commercialization.

The "happy holidays" doesn't really bother me though, not everybody celebrates christmas, so might as well wish them a good time too.

I prefer Hogmanay. Though recently Christmas seems to be taking over as the more popular holiday here.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 03:37:17 pm »

I guess I'm a minority when it comes to hating the generic "Happy Holidays" thing then. I'm perfectly fine with people wishing me a Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Hanukkah, but when I hear "Happy Holidays" I cringe. I specifically avoid products that are labeled "Holiday" so in that regard they're losing sales to people like me lol. Even the stuff that really is Christmas focused (like Nativity sets!) are more and more being labeled Holiday, which makes absolutely no sense. I saw one that said Happy Holidays on it. I mean, why are you buying a Nativity set if you don't want to celebrate Christmas? That's like making a regulation football and just marketing it as "Ball" with no mention of the game it's for.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »

Its a sports ball, what more do you want?   :P

I guess its kinda weird to have a Nativity set with Happy Holidays on it.  Then again, I guess you could be celebrating the birth(death?) of Jesus without celebrating christmas, for some reason?   ???  Or maybe you want to celebrate it on Valentines day, and then Happy Holidays would be more appropriate.   ???
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:54:28 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »

I guess I'm a minority when it comes to hating the generic "Happy Holidays" thing then. I'm perfectly fine with people wishing me a Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Hanukkah, but when I hear "Happy Holidays" I cringe.

I'm fine with Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and Happy Holidays, (also Happy New Year, Happy Festivus, Happy Afflus, and Happy Saturnalia) but not with Happy Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa is anti-cosmopolitan and it's even more artificial than Festivus.

I also dislike any holiday greeting that includes the phrase "winter solstice". No astrology for me, please.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

I also dislike any holiday greeting that includes the phrase "winter solstice". No astrology for me, please.

You mean astronomy? :P

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »

If you ascribe significance to it it's astrology.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 05:58:12 pm »

I'm a traditionalist. It only irks me when the grain suddenly goes the opposite way. Kinda like how an animal would react when pet the wrong way. Just as well, I'm also bothered by Christmas being sold in October and such. I mean, leave everything in their respective time frames, okay?

Everyone worries too much about the bottom-line these days, and it's making political correctness spin like a dradle. So screw it, I'm setting up my Christmas Tree, singing Happy Holidays, and being open-minded about the other religions celebrating in their own way during the season. As long as everyone's happy, I can care less about the rest of the PC-nonsense.

On that note, I used to support political correctness to a degree (I'm primarily in the "Don't be a dick"/"Do unto others as you'd want done unto you" variety; about or against others, that is. That applies to patriotism/nationalism, religious celebrations, and any other teeny-tiny feature of mankind (like fat-pride or some such hidden in obscurity, waiting to scream along with everyone else's scream-fests about political correctness and such, getting lost in the noise)), for a time being, until it decided to throw rationality into the furnace to keep itself warm, only to underestimate how volatile rationality burns, and it turns itself into a cultural bomb.

BTW, anyone else celebrate Festivus? It's a rather underrated holiday. Feats of Strength ought to be done between these irrational PC-minded people. We can place bets and enjoy the heavily spiked eggnogg while at it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:00:57 pm »

If you ascribe significance to it it's astrology.

Significance? How is having a celebration on the shortest day of the year anything to do with astrology?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 06:07:11 pm »

Spoiler: vOv (click to show/hide)

Not too relevant to the OP question but I think that's already been answered.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »

Significance? How is having a celebration on the shortest day of the year anything to do with astrology?
Echo that: Longest night of the year's a better reason to party than many even without bringing in half-arsed divination.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:05 pm »

I do not fear Christmas.

I do, however, fear the fact that my aunt thought lutefisk would be a legitimate main course for Christmas dinner.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:21:37 pm by Jervill »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 11:20:06 pm »

ptw.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:48 pm »

I do, however, fear the fact that my aunt thought lutefisk would be a legitimate main course for Christmas dinner.

:o

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 11:25:28 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3