Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My First Masterwork Fortress  (Read 2485 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: My First Masterwork Fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 02:49:16 am »

Blind archers are bad, and blind melee units have to touch a unit first to find it, but then always know where it is, until you order them away.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

I may on my next fort make every blind dwarf into a legion.  A terrifying candy wearing legion with blindfolds over their eyes.
Pretty Zen, dude.
Also has anyone ever seen a blind dwarf get the negative thought "has witnesses death recently"?  You'd think they would be impervious to this negative thought.  But then again you want your military to see so much death that they revel in it and then eventually don't care about anything anymore.
It says 'witnessed' rather than 'seen', so I think that'd be okay. I guess they just hear their comrades screaming in pain, taste/smell the dwarf blood, maybe if they're like Urist McDaredevil (e.g. other senses are heightened), they can hear the heart stop beating. And of course soon potentially there will be miasma.

Anyway, in regards to OP, I think someone has already mentioned or at least implied this, but getting a sawmill up and running as soon as possible is a good idea, especially when your site has lots of soil layers and/or flux layers you aren't willing to free up for construction. Otherwise you run the risk of piercing a cavern before you're ready to deal with its contents.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

sjohne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 08:25:36 am »

Masterwork is amazing because there is always something new to learn :-)...

Cheaty, cheat - cheats:

- Embark with dewbeetles they can be milked every couple of months and each milk can be brewed into 30 mead essentially making other ways of alcohol production useless.

- Go fishing. One legendary fisher can easily feed 50+ dwarves.

Other tips:

- If you can afford it embark with two drakes they are great early defenders and they can be shorn for rigid drakescale which makes fireproof irongrade leather armor. Which in turn is the best padding armor you can get later. You can also train them for war and upgrade them in the kennel.

- Always guard your door there are some nasty surprises early in the game which pose a threat only if they manage to get inside your fortress.

- If you're short on iron you can go for cobalt.

- Not too obvious: Process ore in the ore processor first to get more ore and free stone blocks.

- You can make mechanism from bone in the bonecarvers workshop if you lack stone.

But really the manual is your best friend... there is way too much to list everything :-(...

Putting out cages in Masterwork is also a great guarantee of FUN and profit. Fire breathing supersonic speeddogs anyone?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »

Okay... I have an apostle. I have tried to turn him into a priest at a monestary. He turns into a praying dwarf, then back into an apostle. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Found it, looks like it is a known bug. With a fix! Yay Meph!
hehe, and you had already posted the answer. You rock.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:02:43 pm by GhostDwemer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:05 pm »

Nothing. I did. I made a typo in the interaction file. I fixed it in the dev-version, the studded with patches release by McTeellox.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2]