Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What do you think about this? (medicine/technology/human body)  (Read 4638 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about this? (medicine/technology/human body)
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 04:39:52 am »

LordBucket is arguing against mandatory Human Upgrading. Or just mentioning the dangers of voluntary human upgrading.

However, this implants changed me is the major benefit of the 3d printed organs. They're made of your own cells, and the parts that aren't are slowly replaced by your body, so changes are minimal. It's a brand new organ, so any reactions it "learned" (addictions, but also some resistances to diseases) would be lost, however.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »

LordBucket is arguing against mandatory Human Upgrading. Or just mentioning the dangers of voluntary human upgrading.

However, this implants changed me is the major benefit of the 3d printed organs. They're made of your own cells, and the parts that aren't are slowly replaced by your body, so changes are minimal. It's a brand new organ, so any reactions it "learned" (addictions, but also some resistances to diseases) would be lost, however.
Indeed.  To me, it's no weirder than losing two-thirds of your liver and having it regrow itself from the remains.  It's just that the organ in question is regrowing outside of the body rather than inside. 
Actually, thinking about it now, liver regeneration is a little weird.  Interesting, but weird. 

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »

Anyone know WHY the liver's so regenerative?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »

Because it is a gland, and glands can regenerate so long as they have sufficient bloodflow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »

Fun article of the day.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/mini-human-brains-grown-stem-cells-8C11020764
Researchers grew human stem cells in an environment that encouraged them to form pea-size gobs of brain tissue, which developed into distinct brain tissues, including a cerebral cortex and retina.
See, now that's about where people start feeling uncomfortable about things. :P

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »

-snip-

... this is the first quote on Bay12 I really wanted to sig, but it's too long. Why world, why!?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 11:48:43 pm »

Although I pretty significantly disagree with LordBucket on some level (I'm just not sure whether we have different notions of "self", or different notions on what contributes to it), I'm pretty okay with letting him have that viewpoint, provided he's not saying that even people who don't share it shouldn't be allowed to receive such transplants. It doesn't seem like he is, so I don't see what the fuss is about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]