Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jesus. That's... really disgusting, Tarn  (Read 3434 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Jesus. That's... really disgusting, Tarn
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 01:36:28 am »

Wish we could gather vomit and create some sort of vomitorium
There are "vomitoriums" in Dwarf Fortress. I've seen the idea in the Wiki. Ironically, however, is that it is actually some kind of a courtyard or park for the dwarfs to sunbath and not get cave adaptation, and that means they won't vomit.

So vomitoriums are created to prevent vomitting.  :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:27:24 am »

I love that it's even possible for things like this to happen, but still.. wow. Disgusting. Behold:

Deadly is right. I'm scared just to picture it

That is not even one of the more disgusting or dangerous ones. You will face giant eight-legged lizards made out of steel, with noxious secretions in this game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wish we could gather vomit and create some sort of vomitorium
There are "vomitoriums" in Dwarf Fortress. I've seen the idea in the Wiki. Ironically, however, is that it is actually some kind of a courtyard or park for the dwarfs to sunbath and not get cave adaptation, and that means they won't vomit.

So vomitoriums are created to prevent vomitting.  :P

I think the vomitoriums were used to alleviate cave adaptation, which resulted in a lot of dwarves vomiting. They also prevent cave adaptation, which in turn prevents further vomiting.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:30:43 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:50 am »

You will face giant eight-legged lizards made out of steel, with noxious secretions in this game.

yea, that sounds slightly bizarre and very dangerous (i wouldn't even try to fight a creature made out of steel :D), but not disgusting at all and somewhat it even sounds cool.

I mean, imagine a living thing like this with 2 additional legs, and bigger of course:

Vomit is definitely one of the most disgusting materials.

Yeah, I'm still pretty newb to DF. Just started playing two weeks ago... literally instant obsession; late nights... all-nighters even... and I'm 27 with a full-time job! I should not be this excited about games anymore, but damnit Tarn

It's just so Fun
Yup, I hear ya.  I discovered DF a few years back while on vacation.  I spent most of the week playing it, then daydreaming about it at work when I got back .

i totally understand you guys, i think i need a withdrawal therapy.

I haven't played for some years and i got sucked in instantly. The new utility, interface mods and features make thinks worse. I actually feel guilty...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:43 am »

You will face giant eight-legged lizards made out of steel, with noxious secretions in this game.

yea, that sounds slightly bizarre and very dangerous (i wouldn't even try to fight a creature made out of steel :D), but not disgusting at all and somewhat it even sounds cool.
Does the fact that said secretions could well cause the victims to have all their skin rot off count as disgusting?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »

The forgotten beast Cironoomula has come! A great humanoid composed of an unknown substance...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 03:53:56 pm »

At least FBs made out of liquids are fairly easy to kill. I found one made of mud once. Some random kid punched it, severing its arm and making it slop all over the cavern floor.
I wouldn't be too confident. I had lots of trouble with one of those one time...
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

Does the fact that said secretions could well cause the victims to have all their skin rot off count as disgusting?

Hard to tell.

Would a fluffy kitten, but venomous, be disgusting? For me, the effects of the poison would be disgusting, but not the kitty itself.

If you would see a colorful frog your initial reaction wouldn't be "ewwww, look at that frog, hes so disgusting". Or a toxic, colorful bird.

But yea, the imagination of dwarfs without skin is disgusting.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 01:20:42 am »

But yea, the imagination of dwarfs without skin is disgusting.
Now imagine those dwarves covered in vomit spit.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 02:34:10 am »

That sounds like a military project to toughen soldiers.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 07:41:22 am »

That sounds like a military project to toughen soldiers.

No, It's probably just a lack of soap. You would need to burn off all of their skin and fat with magma mist, and then cover them in vomit spit for it to be considered a military project to toughen soldiers.
Pages: 1 [2]