Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 3DS games?  (Read 5925 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS games?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »

I have a question for you buri: What is the 2ds for? Not having the 3d is less power needed, but it looks so much more likely to get screen-cracked compared to the others with their closing hinge hiding the screens inside.

In my experience, there's a large segment of people that keep 3D turned off on the 3DS and a pretty fair amount of people that held off on buying a 3DS because they had no interest in 3D (some thinking that you couldn't turn it off and others thinking that playing 3DS games in 2D would be a sub-par experience). I know a lot of people with bifocals and trifocals who are still using regular DSs because 3D on the 3DS is next to impossible for them.

The lower price tag on the 2DS is enticing to people who want to play 3DS games but don't want to pay the 3D tax. Anecdotal, it appears to be paying off as the 2DS is the most popular 3DS version among people I know IRL.

I'm one of those large segment of people who keep 3D turned off. I don't need glasses nor am I affected in any way by the 3D.

However, it's a serious pain in the neck just to orient the screen properly to view the 3D. I don't get headaches or nausea. I get wrist cramps from holding the 3DS in one specific position for too long.
Also often called Boowells.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »

I got the XL as well. Mostly because it's better in every way. I can't even play my old DS any more as the screen is miniscule compared to the 3DSXL.

Like Janet, I also only have one working eye, but the 3D works on me. Mostly because I have some strange optical nerve problem in my left eye.

The 3DS was the first time I ever saw in 3D actually, but I still keep the 3D setting off most of the time.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:57 pm »

I just cashed in a $20 gift card into the e-shop so I'm gonna fork in the other $20 for games.

Should I get Rune Factory 4 or Bravery Default?

I'm leaning towards Rune Factory mostly because Bravery Default is supposedly needs 26000 blocks of memory. How big is Rune Factory so I can decide better.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:28 pm »

How big is your SD card?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

4 GB. The default card in it.

Edit. Screw it, I'll go with Rune Factory. It's more familiar to me and because XSeed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:52:38 pm by majikero »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

3DSXL also, why bother to use the gimmicky 3D feature?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:49 am »

I'd just like to say if anyone's looking for a tough JRPG that doesn't beat you over the head with it, SMTIV is great! Took some elements from EO (there seems to be a central dungeon, for instance, that you work on getting down in a similar fashion), and the turn press battle system is fantastic as ever. (for those unfamiliar, the short version is - hit with weakness/crit -> get more turns + maybe a boost in evasion/damage. Battles will either end quickly or you'll be suddenly stomped. The AI is mostly bad about taking advantage of it, but when it even stumbles across one or two extra turns things get nasty even with weaker enemies quick.)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:37 am »

4 GB. The default card in it.

Edit. Screw it, I'll go with Rune Factory. It's more familiar to me and because XSeed.

I'd get braverly default too, love it!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »

I got Bravely Default too.

Seems pretty good so far. I like how much text there is. Also, the voice options are great. Both the English and Japanese voices are well done. It's a lot less angsty than I thought. In fact, the main character is a lot more likeable than I would have guessed. I kinda assumed he'd be all whiny given the circumstances, but he's more the naive shonen superhero guy.

An interesting thing to note is that all my friends registered on my DS have practically 100% the game... so every time I ask for assistance from their characters they just do like 999999 damage. Basically I can't ask for help ever unless I want the game to be ultra easy.

I recommend just going straight for hard mode. It's the only mode that's remotely challenging.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »

I got Bravely Default too.
I recommend just going straight for hard mode. It's the only mode that's remotely challenging.
Are you saying this because of the invincifriends, or because it actually was sorta easy?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »

If you've played the demo, you'd understand how easy it is on normal. You can beat the entire game with one button. Specifically A.

Hard is a bit of a challenge.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 04:05:11 am »

Double post!

I'm upgrading my recommendation of Bravely Default from "mild amusement" to "this is actually pretty good".

I've played about... 20 hours or so and am about 75% through the story so I've experienced a lot more than just the initial impressions I had before.

1. Difficulty is lovely. It's rare to find a JPRG that has such challenging bosses. I suspect it's only this way because I keep turning off random encounters (which is another great feature) and only grinding to keep my level about where it should be. And the fact that I'm playing on hard, though you can change the difficulty at any time, another great feature. You'll be spending a lot of time mixing and matching gear with abilities and jobs just to fight every new boss. You might encounter one that likes to replicate itself and change its form at will. You might encounter one that likes to spam instakill spells at you. You might encounter one that exclusively targets the weakest members of your party. Etc.

You need to adapt to it and it's quite a lot harder than it seems. Can get frustrating, but if all else fails you can grind for 10 extra levels and just roflstomp the boss with huge numbers.

2. The story is actually pretty interesting. You kinda have to go out of your way to go through the extra sub quests as well as read some very lengthy lore books / journal entries to see the bigger picture, but it's quite compelling. It starts of as very generic but I'm thinking that was their intention as about midway through you start seeing some more mature plot points appearing. Of course, this isn't some super bestseller novel material, but it's still pretty good.

The game also really likes teasing you with twists that you think are super obvious, but always lacking that one crucial element for you to seal your confirmation. For example, it'll straight up tell you that some major plot events will happen, but it always leaves out important details so you're not actually sure how it's going to happen. Or in some cases you will know that X and Y are the same thing, but it doesn't tell you how the fuck X and Y are the same. You start to think that they have to be the same as they never appear in the same shot together, and every time X leaves, Y enters. Then they throw a curveball and show both of them appearing in the same room and you just go "what the fuuuuck...". It's quite ingenious.

3. I really like the job system. It's really fun discovering the overpowered combos. It all just ties into how the game doesn't try to hold your hand or force you to play a certain way. You can change every single thing about it, from your encounter rate to your difficulty to whatever the hell you want. It has the microtransactions too but I barely ever use it. You don't need to and it impacts nothing.

I also really love how they introduce every new class. Instead of leaving you to wonder what a new class even does like old FF games, here you get the super awesome difficult boss fight to defeat. That boss fight will show you how insane that class can be, as it uses only the skills that class can use. After that you see lots of optional information about the class and some demonstration videos. The game has a really extensive library that keeps track of every single thing and you can check it at any time.

It also makes me feel like I'm playing a party of soul vampires. They consume the lives of the enemies they defeat.

---------------

All in all, I really hope future Square Enix games have the same quality as this. Bravely Default starts off pretty generic and slow, but it ramps up and gets very good once you get a few more jobs to play with and the world is opened up a bit more. The characters are very well done and there's tonnes of well written dialogue, especially the non-main quest stuff. I suspect they intentionally put all the better and more complicated information harder to find so that it doesn't overwhelm people who don't want any plot. Seriously, they are literally essays you can find in the game explaining the more elusive concepts. I remember opening a new journal entry in game and seeing it had TWO HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN PAGES.

Lastly, it has a hilarious failed marriage proposal in the middle of a bossfight at the end of the world.

tl;dr: Bravely Default is really good.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]