Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: "Boardpasses" Home of werewolves, vampires, !!Fun!! and inbred dwarves  (Read 6832 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

WEll, there is not a shortage of monsters in my fort, so there is enough to go around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do the queen appoint a new champion if the last one is horribly eaten by a forgotten beast?

Also, for those interested, this is where my current fort is located and where the former capitol is. Needless to say, I am a bit impressed on how the caravan managed to reach me every year.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

So, today I found this fellow in the middle of my fort.

It says he is an animal trainer, but is not a member of my fort, but instead he is labeled as a merchant.

I tried to make a family tree to see if there were any relatives from my queen in my fort. Or any relatives at all that were alive.
(Seriously big image)

Turns out that not only are a lot of dwarves related to my queen, they are also inbred. Yes, you read it, my dwarves are inbred, that would explain why everything is on fire.
(Actually, that would be the forgotten beasts that breathe fire on top of wooden artifacts.)

The year is now 265. 15 years my fort has survived so far, and between the ghosts, troglodytes, the weretraders, the vampire queen and the forgotten beasts I still manage to hold the dwarves at a steady 120 citizens.

I managed to catch a minotaur. A male one to go ith the female one. Anyone know if there is a way to make a minotaur breeding facility?

Did I mention forgotten beasts earlier?

This one was a pain to fight.

This one got shot down by merchants.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:08:49 am by Julien Brightside »

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, today I found this fellow in the middle of my fort.

It says he is an animal trainer, but is not a member of my fort, but instead he is labeled as a merchant.

I tried to make a family tree to see if there were any relatives from my queen in my fort. Or any relatives at all that were alive.
(Seriously big image)

Turns out that not only are a lot of dwarves related to my queen, they are also inbred. Yes, you read it, my dwarves are inbred, that would explain why everything is on fire.
(Actually, that would be the forgotten beasts that breathe fire on top of wooden artifacts.)

The year is now 265. 15 years my fort has survived so far, and between the ghosts, troglodytes, the weretraders, the vampire queen and the forgotten beasts I still manage to hold the dwarves at a steady 120 citizens.

I managed to catch a minotaur. A male one to go ith the female one. Anyone know if there is a way to make a minotaur breeding facility?

Did I mention forgotten beasts earlier?

This one was a pain to fight.

This one got shot down by merchants.

Dude. That is beyond amazing. I'm seriously impressed by that family tree. How dd you make it? How long did it take?

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

Glad you asked, and I am glad you are impressed.

Step 1 was to inquire the Legends viewer from somewhere.
Step 2. Export Legends xml file (copy paste df save folder, abandon fort, then export files)
Step 3. Open GIMP, (or any art program really) and start writing names and connect them.

I spent a few hours every day for the last week making this, granted, I let DF run in the background, so it wasn't like effective work, but it took some time. Mostly because it was tedious.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad you asked, and I am glad you are impressed.

Step 1 was to inquire the Legends viewer from somewhere.
Step 2. Export Legends xml file (copy paste df save folder, abandon fort, then export files)
Step 3. Open GIMP, (or any art program really) and start writing names and connect them.

I spent a few hours every day for the last week making this, granted, I let DF run in the background, so it wasn't like effective work, but it took some time. Mostly because it was tedious.

I aspire to write a historical fantasy novel loosely based on the reign of Edward II and the Three Kingdoms era of China (set in a pre-Christianization Norsway-based setting) (yeah... I'm one of THOSE types) but I always get lost world-building (my favorite process, better than writing) when I try to do a family tree of some characters. I'm super impressed by how well-made that one is. I wish I could make one like it.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

Thanks, but keep in mind that I didn't make up all of these dwarves. They all existed in Legends mode.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Microsoft Visio would be a great program for mapping all the links. very clean and lots of right angles. i think i fail to see the inbreeding. i do not see and brothers doing their sisters or linkages between 1st or 2nd cousins

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

Well, there is at least one dwarf that has grandparents that are all related. Onul Sealwash.

But no, there is not a linkage between sisters and brothers, not cousins, but further out.

That Microsoft visio sounds interesting. Is that a program you have?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ya i got it for free while attending uni. I used it to make this :P

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e35/amastik/project-2nd-floor-topology.png

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

Ah, I am no longer in an university, so I don't think I can that for free.

Also, not sure if I would remake the family tree if given the choice.

But thanks for mentioning it for me though.

(Also, my first though when seeing that picture was: "Oh, it is a TARDIS diagram")

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hehe ya understandable :P tardis really? *rolls eyes*

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

Yeah, those boxes on the left reminded me of a flying blue policebox for a moment.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

This is what I imagine the first moments of Boardpasses were like.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]