Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)  (Read 33321 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »

A lot of those 'fractal' bedroom layouts with the one set of stairs in the center are terrible for pathfinding, dorfs end up searching through every single bedroom, nook and cranny and maze-like hallway on every z-level to get into just about any room. Some of them are bad enough that you could not even intentionally design a layout worse for pathfinding. The more compact ones with straight hallways are the best.

Also, although bedroom doors don't add to room value normally, they do tend to get admired by their occupant fairly often, especially when they are just hanging out in their rooms on break.
A large problem with the "Straight Hallway" bedrooms, is that eventually it takes up a LOT of space. I usually set my pop cap to 750 due to my computer being a boss and I love having so many of em runnin' around everywhere! Imagine 750 rooms down (even several z-levels) a hallway? I usually just have to use 3-4 z-levels of the same thing to cover it all, in stead of 105 z-levels.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]