Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Trap Setups  (Read 3418 times)

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Setups
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »

A setup like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBbb....
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbBbb....
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbBbb....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W is wall, B is bridge and where it raises to/is anchored, . is the floor outside, ^ is an upright spear trap filled with 10 glass menacing spikes, and sometimes simple weapon traps with large serrated discs, same material.
The weapon traps only for things that sneak in, if noone is outside right now.
Underneath the bridges is a 15 z level drop.
the trap area is restricted traffic.
All bridges, except the vertical one, are set to the same lever, so they can be retracted when a siege comes, and still let caravans with wagons through in peacetime.
The spear traps are all linked to a lever in the dining hall. There are always 5 or so idlers, so... yeah.
Took a hell of a lot time to build, though, with 2 masons and 2 low-level building designers.
Btw: All bridges are from magma-safe bauxite blocks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:50:47 pm by Frelus »
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Setups
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:51 am »

My two older favorites were the pulsing bridges and magma curtain.

For the bridges you just have a good length of bridges over a long fall and before the final bridge are 3 pressure plates. "But the goblins will get stuck on the pressure plates!" is solved easily by connecting them to a floodgate with another pressure plate in front of it that connects back to the bridges, with the water dropping off right after that so that the plate changes states frequently.

The magma curtain was just one pump outputting to a 3 wide drop over some lava proof grates. With the usual fear trigger it only needed to be activated near the end of the siege as the firy deaths would send the siege packing... back through the falling red #s.

I stopped doing these entrances though. Instead I just have a decontamination style depot with my trade away stockpiles all located near it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3]