Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trap Setups  (Read 3425 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Trap Setups
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:55:07 pm »

Hi. I've been wondering how you set up your traps, and how successful your various setups have been.

As Mine, I have an alternating Weapon traps/stone fall trap set up in my 2 tile wide hallway. After those traps, I have three rows of cage traps, and then two doors followed by another row of weapon trap/ cage trap combo. The thinking behind it is that the weapon traps will kill anything not tough enough to survive it, and then the stone fall trap is too soften up the target for the next weapon trap. If anything survives this (And trust me, Goblins only get to the cages via sheer zerg rush), they're pretty bad ass, so I have three rows of cage traps to make sure I get the sucker. The extra weapon trap stone fall trap combo is supposed to lead onto my champions and steel-armed and armored hammerdwarves so that anything that can zerg rush/get past that (Aside from Kobolds) will have to deal with some getting knocked around/pummeled.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Setups
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:34:20 pm »

I start with cage traps.  They are surrounded by cage traps.  Cage traps scattered about the wilderness as well.  Followed by weapon traps in my 3 wide corridor. Which is in turn protected by a three ballista wall of LAZERS.  After which I have my barracks.  Then my meeting hall with the puppies.  Then I put a stone fall trap in every bedroom.  Then I start to get board and do crazy things...

I'm thinking about trying to cultivate artifact balista bolts, so I can be sure to take out anything.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:39:04 pm »

Collapsing floor section. Closer to the entrance are a few dogs to detect ambushes.

Ain't nothing getting in alive. Survivors will be subject to cage traps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:05 pm »

I've found an effective setup is to have an elbow turn in the only entrance to the fortress.  The section of the turn nearest the fort has chained wardogs, and the section on the far side of the turn has weapon traps, usually composed of glass large serrated discs, or recycled corkscrews from former pumping projects.

The reason for the elbow is that watchdogs are necessary to find and shred kobolds, but I don't want archer goblin ambushes shooting my dogs every other season.  Thus the trap-proof kobolds skip over the traps and meet Rover, while the ranged-combat goblins have to waltz over several rows of traps before they get a clear shot at the immobile dogs.

I don't usually use cage traps or stone-fall traps.  If I'm really feeling vicious, I'll put a pressure plate after the traps that raises drawbridges and forces the gobs to go through a winding side passageway full of more traps before they can get in or out.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

A single line of three cage traps at the choke point of my wall, and three weapon traps (10 wooden spikes each) in a single line across my three-tile-long hallway. The three weapon traps are enough to kill almost anything.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:07:34 pm »

A hell of a lot of spikes in corridor, lots more mechanism, and switch, lastly a moron who'll pull it for days on end when ambushed.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 10:57:38 pm »

A bridge across the magma pipe is the only entrance to the fort, and once you get inside there's another bridge across a separate pit full of magma.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 12:40:55 am »

And then,between those a drowning chamber, right?

Cause some things just don't burn.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 03:26:35 am »

Well, I have this one hall we like to call the "Corridor of Spikes."  I bet you can guess how it works.  Rather than having traps, I use drawbridges everywhere to wall off my fortress from various sections of the world, allowing me to always have my champions on hand to ward off sieges.  Should I find a bow heavy assault however, I may wish to trap them in the aforementioned corridor rather then gamble my dwarves lives.  By simply pulling one lever after the goblins have entered the hallway I can entrap them with two raising drawbridges.  Then it is a simple matter of pulling another lever repeatedly until my 27 stacks of 10 green glass spikes each have done their job.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:33 pm »

im new at this but I like a ballista/marksdwarf tower sealable from the main fort via a bridge, then as they pass through the hail of bolts, they go down my caravan route, now made into a trap corridor by the retraction of a 3 wide bridge, which lets caravans pass over, but when the lever is pulled captures anything that passes over it

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »

Corridor of spikes, which also doubles as a drowning room and flushing mechanism for ease of harvesting goblinite post-mortem.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »

Urist Mcfortwrecker has become a legendary Necromancer!
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »

Oh wow, I didnt even realise this was old.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »

Is it me, or are the warnings for necroing (they usually appear if a thread is older than a month that's being replied to) not working? Or is it like one of those kinds of unwritten rules that people tend to ignore anyway, like a little child?

I've been noticing a trend of necromancy going on in these boards lately, and it's getting hard to tell apart the ones that are serious, from the ones just trying to bother us (mostly because they're mostly Escaped Lunatics doing this). That's the spambots' job.

On topic:
I would lock up my fort, have a path made for wagon access (with a detour via decoy depot), and within a shorter path for smaller units, line it with all kinds of pounders and shredders.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:33:23 pm by Itnetlolor »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

Hmm, regardless, McFortWreck has a good idea, that I may moddify slightly. Put a ammo stockpile in the marksdwarves' barracks, and have them train in the same room. Put said barracks in a location above the ground, surrounded by fortifications (a wall in the middle to support enough roofs or grates to seal it), in front of the entrance. Put a stairs down into the fortress beside the supports, and your marksdwarves will shoot anything that tries to get into the fort, from the outside.

This will serve to kill some things, and drive others into your other traps.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: [1] 2 3