Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD  (Read 3804 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2013, 06:13:05 am »

Me! I wanna be on the money! Actually, we should put our faces on the amount of money used by the people that our company caters to. My company, for example, makes crops and produce to sell to the public, so I should be on the, say, thousandth dollar since most of my customers are poor people who can't afford rich food. Mr. Reynolds has a railway company, so he should be on the, oh, hundredth dollar (for the common man's transportation.)

Anyways, this is my other two cents. (Or should I say, thousandth dollar! Oh! I'm too good at this. But seriously though, I'll stop the "cheesy" jokes. Ohh- Okay, I'm stopping now.  :P)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:16:04 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 07:36:29 am »

(( Me :P but I still want gold as well, It's shinny and will look impressive in my trophy case. ))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:49 am »

Here have some paper money!  The gold it's based on, stays in the bank.  That way when I get more gold, the value of your money increases!   Makes sense, right?  I'll be mass producing them.  There will be tenth dollars, hundredth dollars and for the dirt poor, thousandth dollars.  One hundred thousandth dollars make one hundredth dollar.  One hundred of those make a tenth. Dollar.  A hundred tenth dollars make one Californian Standard Dollar.  I give everyone one dollar.  There will be five hundred dollars printed first, then five thousand tenth dollar bills, then fifty thousand hundredth dollar bills, and finally five hundred thousand hundredth dollar bills.  It'll go wherever the government wants it.  Who wants to be on the money? 

((Why are a hundred tenth dollars only one dollar? Wouldn't it make mathematical sense for them to be hundredth dollars, then?

In addition, relying on gold to provide value for your money is hardly economically sound, as you go the economic route of the Spaniards, who based their entire economy on gold. You see, if you get too much gold, gold becomes less valuable due to the market for it getting saturated. It is my opinion that a free-floating currency (as in, one that equates to services and actual goods rather than gold) would work better and we wouldn't have to busy ourselves with silly gold.))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:54:55 am by Harry Baldman »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:11 am »

Here have some paper money!  The gold it's based on, stays in the bank.  That way when I get more gold, the value of your money increases!   Makes sense, right?  I'll be mass producing them.  There will be tenth dollars, hundredth dollars and for the dirt poor, thousandth dollars.  One hundred thousandth dollars make one hundredth dollar.  One hundred of those make a tenth. Dollar.  A hundred tenth dollars make one Californian Standard Dollar.  I give everyone one dollar.  There will be five hundred dollars printed first, then five thousand tenth dollar bills, then fifty thousand hundredth dollar bills, and finally five hundred thousand hundredth dollar bills.  It'll go wherever the government wants it.  Who wants to be on the money? 

((Why are a hundred tenth dollars only one dollar? Wouldn't it make mathematical sense for them to be hundredth dollars, then?

In addition, relying on gold to provide value for your money is hardly economically sound, as you go the economic route of the Spaniards, who based their entire economy on gold. You see, if you get too much gold, gold becomes less valuable due to the market for it getting saturated. It is my opinion that a free-floating currency (as in, one that equates to services and actual goods rather than gold) would work better and we wouldn't have to busy ourselves with silly gold.))

(( I second this option.

Anybody got an issue with me trying to seize control of the nations armies? ))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:12 am »

I will, unless you agree to my hegemony over armament and munitions.

In reply to a Mr A.Reynalds:
I find your lack of perception to our present situation... alarming, for we are a small insignificant power.
Unless we are sponsored by another, either our former masters, the rebels or the French-funded Mexicans will devour us like a pig eats from a trough.
As for expelling foreign businesses, I should remind you that I am not a native. And any attempts to remove either me or my place of business will be met with zealous and overwhelming force.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:05 am »

(( Uhm dude.... this is all ooc. We have to actually meet IC before we can talk it through for real. We ain't psychic.

But no chance in hell I'm going to agree to give you control over weapons and munitions, what good is my army if it can't fight without your permission? I already produce what I need myself and I'm not going to change that any time soon.

Side thread set up for this discussion and OOC talks.))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:02:12 am by Brood »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 02:05:43 pm »

(( I second this option.

Anybody got an issue with me trying to seize control of the nations armies? ))

((I'm lazy and didn't want to change it on my I-pad.  I'm on my computer now though, so I'll fix it.  ))

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »

-snip-
-snip-3. I'm currently making stats for all the companies. Currency is currently measured in Union dollars. You may try to change that.
-snip-

The Union has dollars?  I thought Lincoln brought over the greenbacks in 1862.  Oh well, it does not matter.  We can change the currency, as you said, especially if my bank gets to be the national bank.
The Union had Demand Notes from August 1861 to April 1862 which were also called greenbacks. Sorry for the confusion potentially caused.

Note: this a placeholder for a potential update/turn.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »

Could I join the waitlist please?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:35:07 pm by Noodlerex »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]