Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD  (Read 3812 times)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »

(( Ahh ok, but you kinda can't ban them, if you passed a majority vote of us then you could I think but we are all equal powers in theory so you can't change policies on your own.
At least you can't unless you want to be a tyrant :). ))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:03:19 pm »

((Yeah, again I didn't really type that out in a coherent way. I was simply suggesting to ban them from the country.))
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:42 pm »

(( Uhm dude, we're only half the country they are the other half. At most we can ban them from our side of the border but even then it's a big border and theres no way of knowing what companies it is anyway, some might work on both sides, some might not publicly be with the union.

At best we can try to limit it but thats about all we can do short of declaring open war and trying to exterminate them all, but I'm sure you know how that'll work out. ))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »

((We should strictly limit any opposing businesses who aren't loyal to the nation. While a freemarket is ideal, we need to enforce some sort of state-capitalism system to build up and direct our economy. Besides, I'm sure you all wouldn't mind being solely in charge of the development of the nation, would you?))
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 07:16:48 pm »

(( .... try it and I'll be first in line to rebel.
Seriously mate when has trying to force control ever resulted in anything but rebellion and the entire system crashing down?
We can place some limits on them like charging them more and placing stricter security on them but anything more and it's going to hurt us more then them both short term and long term when the rest of the world finds out.

I'm not going tyrant it causes to many problems that I'd have to fix with minor genocide. ))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »

((I'm not suggested we go full on tyrant, all I'm saying is that we are in a position to build up a strong economy. A free market works, but is too slow for our current needs. It'd only be a temporary state of control anyways, once we have the basic industries set up we can then allow more private companies to flourish. But we certainly cannot rely on outside private companies now, too risky as they'll be focused more on money than they will be on improving the welfare of the nation. Aggressive business tactics aren't pretty, but they get the job done.))
Welcome to Reality.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »

(( It's slower to go freemarket but it does make us look a lot better on the world stage and will help us build relations up with other countries as well where as if we lock them out the first place they'll go is to the union and our enemy will gain more support. ))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:31:56 pm by Brood »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »

((Unless we all work together. ;D  It worked in Venice, it worked in Italy, and it'll work here.  At least for a little while it will.  I plan a great Corporate California.  This won't alienate the masses, or other countries.  Other countries hate each other at this time period.  I want my state capitalism!  And my position to hold all the gold!  ))

Offer trade of gold for paper money at 1 lb of gold for one Californian Dollar.  1 lb of silver for one Californian Half Dollar. 

That's to other companies. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:46:39 pm by alamoes »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:06 pm »

(( Yea except restrictions are an issue for a guy running a private army who's only loyalty is to him. If I support you I screw myself so I'd end up helping the union.
Unless of course your going to include making me the commander of our little nations combined military, then I'd be happy to shoot anybody else who disagrees.
And also, don't forget the gold you'd be paying the guy who's paying the guy's with guns who protect all that gold :P. ))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:46:09 pm by Brood »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 08:15:25 pm »

If the people do rebel, remember that we are the monopolies of the things they need. I control most of the food, Mr. Hoffman holds the gold (and if he gets to become the nation bank, better), Mr. Fitzgerald has all the munitions and supplies to protect us, Mr. Fairweather has most of the wood supply, Mr. Reynolds controls the railroads, etc, etc.

All we have to do is not offer our services to those who don't support us, forcing them to support us, or face having to go without wood, transport, food and all those necessities. It's not cruel, it's "influencing" their decision. We're not forcing them to join us, we're just not offering our services. There's nothing wrong with not offering services to people. We're businessmen! Not charity organisations.

If it is too cruel, just raise prices until they all serve us. For those who do serve us, raise the price too. Sure, it may make us seem like jerks for raising the price, but it will make the opposing people seem like bigger jerks for making us raise the price.

((It's just my two cents, or should I say, two million? Awww, yeah! Rich guy joke!))
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »

(( Fitzgerald has guns but no soldiers, I have guns and soldiers so in that regard I kinda win.
But rebels are always in that position, the problem being that a rebel does not have a big flag above his head that says I'm a rebel.

It's always better to have a back up plan, if you do it nicely first then violence is always available as a fall back, start with violence and your only option is to keep ramping it up until you've killed everybody who resists, which will just make more people resist, or until you self destruct.

Unless you want to make me commander of all armies in which case I fully support whichever option you choose and have no issues shooting a few thousand idiots for not agreeing with me :P. I'm an adaptable man when it involves military power in my hands. ))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »

Well, my suggestion for a non-violent plan is to start a controversy!

Look at modern day aliens. They're in movies, conventions, videogames, etc. A few people dedicate their lives to finding them. Scientists say that the universe is so huge, it should have at least another sentient race. Now, when the alien hype first started, everyone tried to look for aliens. That kept them occupied. That kept them busy. That made them snoop around for aliens, not the governments plan. In fact, some people thought (and still think) that the government is doing something with aliens. When they looked for fake government plans, the government didn't have to worry as much about people looking for their real plans.

I say we start some kind of controversy, like, say, (insert country) is building nuclear weapons. But don't say the government started it. In fact, do the opposite, stop the controversy after it's really starting to boil, make us look like helpful Harry's to the country who was framed, and make us sound smart to the people after we make a really cool scientific explanation about how they couldn't have possibly made nuclear weapons!

Of course, we need something other than nuclear weapons. Something in this timeline. Something believable, yet unbelievable enough to spark interest. We also need some convoluted explanation in the end to make us sound like heroes. I'm not good with explaining my plans. :P
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »

((.... Or I could just you know, send people into union land to be rebels so they wind up looking like jack asses when they crack down, and maybe kill a few important people.... or a few thousand.
We just play nice and look like the good guys your all clearly now so everybody leaves the union to join us. ))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:59:16 pm by Brood »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »

Well in any case, I'm gonna set up some method of you lot being able to send messages to me through one of my men who has no connection to me if you need special jobs done.

I'm sure you all have competitors you'd like to see a string of "accidents" fall upon to ruin them if not kill them, if you get my drift :P.

I'll set it up for you all next turn then I'm happy to help put your rivals out of business and in doing so make you all bigger and stronger, for a fair price of course :P.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:34:23 pm by Brood »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 06:00:21 am »

(( Yea except restrictions are an issue for a guy running a private army who's only loyalty is to him. If I support you I screw myself so I'd end up helping the union.
Unless of course your going to include making me the commander of our little nations combined military, then I'd be happy to shoot anybody else who disagrees.
And also, don't forget the gold you'd be paying the guy who's paying the guy's with guns who protect all that gold :P. ))

Here have some paper money!  The gold it's based on, stays in the bank.  That way when I get more gold, the value of your money increases!   Makes sense, right?  I'll be mass producing them.  There will be hundredth dollars, thousandth dollars and for the dirt poor, millionth dollars.  One hundred millionth dollars make one thousandth dollar.  One hundred of those make a hundredth dollar.  A hundred hundredth dollars make one Californian Standard Dollar (CSD) which is based on the value of one pound of my gold.  I give everyone one dollar.  There will be five hundred dollars printed first, then five thousand hundredth dollar bills, then fifty thousand thousandth dollar bills, and finally five hundred thousand millionth dollar bills.  It'll go wherever the government wants it, just as long as it gets circulated.  Who wants to be on the money?  Your going to have to help me get picked as the national standard and help us get our independence to be on the money.  Mr. Hofmann will be taking the first five hundred CSD. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:02:48 pm by alamoes »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4